It sounds like it is probably an I/O issue. I would scan the harddrive and then update the motherboard bios to the latest revision first(I didn't see any known issues on the Asus web site but they have always been sparse on comments.. You may want to try nforcershq.com to see if anyone has had any I/O issues though Asus is a nice company.. They would have to be. They manufacture motherboards for Intel.). I don't know of any I/O issues with the nForce2 chipset but check nVidia for the latest I/O driver too.

If that doesn't work, these are some things the FAQ suggests:
Make sure the color depth of your desktop is set to 16 bits.
Make sure the integrity of your files is not compromised by executing a scandisk.
Make sure you have no other applications running in the background
Turn down the windows hardware acceleration of the sound driver down by one notch.
Make sure you have enough free hard disc space
Make sure you have full read/write access to the folder where you installed Divine Divinity (which means you probably need to run as Admin though it is not stated which is kind of low security)

Good luck..
I would love to help more but I no longer have a multi-boot system with WinXP installed. I am assuming that you are not using software RAID. That could do it if the software isn't working correctly with the game. You could set up a nice mirrored set and gain speed but lose half your capacity or stripe and gain speed and keep capacity but without the data protection guaranteed by mirroring. Overclocking could hurt too but I think other things would start crashing first before Divine Divinity. Still.. you can monitor the heat on your motherboard with software to check that out. Asus has some nice utils.

And if everything else fails, it might be a good idea to consider dual booting unless you have a spare old computer. Running a old copy of a Win9x operating system for games is not a bad idea though I recommend a separate partition to keep your other data from being corrupted. It is also not a bad idea to have your other partitions NTFS so the Win9x O.S. can't read them. It is more likely to keep your valuable data on WinXP safe. NTFS is better anyway in many ways. It has higher security and scales better to larger disk sizes in part because of its small cluster size. The Win9x family of O.S.s is architectually different from the WinNT family of operating systems which forms the basis of WinXP, Win2003, and Longhorn(eta. 2006?). WinNT is usually much more stable and better suited to keep running when one application crashes. I have run both Win2000 and Win2003 Server for weeks on end stabley. They are however much pickier about things like memory leaks, protection faults, and other errors which Win9x ignores. It increases overall system stability but it often means old software doesn't run as well or doesn't run at all.

Um.. too technical but I have Dissasociative Identity Disorder, I may be different tomorrow..

Have fun..

Last edited by gamer2004; 02/05/04 02:14 AM.