Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, but not straightforward ones.
Ideally, items should have stat requirements that still let you be flexible about the stats you focus on.

Something like Heavy Armor for example, shouldn't require a high Strength, but rather a certain value of Strength+Constitution.

Another thing that I think should happen is a 'level bypass': once a character is of a high enough level, they should be able to ignore the stat requirements of a piece of gear.

So, for example:
-If I want to equip a level 2 sword, I'd need either a level 4 character, or the added value of Strength and Finesse to be higher than 24.
-If I want to equip a level 6 wand, I'd need either a level 8 character, or the added value of Intellect and Wits to be higher than 28.
-If I want to equip a level 4 heavy armor, I'd need either a level 6 character, or the added value of Strength and Constitution to be higher than 26.

Ect.

Last edited by Naqel; 19/09/16 10:49 AM.
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
It would be better to have stats req. , heavry armor should need str+con, light dex, and so on.

V
stranger
stranger
V
One aspect of stat requirements on equipment I don't particularly like is the break-point mentality of them. I.E. Get exactly 6 DEX to equip this important item, dump everything else into STR. It can make the difference between a viable hybrid type build and a completely unviable one just a single stat point. And on first play-throughs it can make stat assignment a very reactive process rather than a planned one as you have no idea of what stat requirements to expect later, which ruins a bit of the fun of playing with a whole new system of possibilities as you have to hedge your bets a little.

I'm generally happy enough with the idea of no stat requirements in a game like this. There's no crossover between run-throughs so there's no concerns about twinked equipment, and access to powerful equipment can be controlled by other factors in that situation. Conversely I like the variety and adaptability available where stat restrictions aren't in play.

But balancing equipment access and benefits across all classes in all situations is a big ask, so maybe a little safeguard against outliers would be useful. So I'd like to propose a kind of soft-restriction based on stats if it is to be implemented. Where, when you have less stats than the requirements, the item is still equip-able but the power of the item scales down from 100% proportionate to how much under the stat-requirement you are, down to some minimum stat value where it stops at (for example) 50% of base power. Just to take the edge off those very sharp break-points whilst still keeping the spirit of a stat requirement system.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard