Originally Posted by Ayvah
Women certainly should have a voice on the topic, and I don't recall anyone telling Vometia to stay out of the discussion, but we all need to recognise that those of us who have been a part of this community for so long have gotten used to the culture of this community. In Australian politics, our conservative party is 17% women, and they are quick to join the men of their party to argue that sexism is a dead issue.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but that seems to be immediately invalidting my opinion about the subject, which is effectively denying me a voice.

For the record, I am certainly aware of sexism and when people are guilty of it, but the stuff that bothers me is for example someone who assumes I know absolutely nothing about technology because I'm female. It's sometimes tempting to add "... even though I've worked in IT since the 1980s", although really that shouldn't be necessary as at best it just leads to a grudging "well I suppose I can make an exception for you, then."

For the record II, my gf's g-grandmother was a suffragette, so I'm kinda aware of them.

J'aime le fromage.