Originally Posted by Surrealialis
I feel like you have a specific system in mind that sounds decent but aren't quite getting the whole picture across. What were you thinking specifically?

Aside from the stats screen, D:OS is already a mix of D&D 3.5 and SPECIAL from Fallout 1/2, my idea is to bridge that gap, rather than have the weird hack&slash hybrid.

You get stats in a 5-20 range(natural values: racial traits, buffs and gear can exceed without breaking the system), they are the basis of your scaling.
I.e.: If you have 20 strength, you get +20% bonus damage with Strength based weapons per level; if you have 20 Constitution, you gain 20 Vitality per level, etc.(sample values, not really a balanced, but it gets the point across).
You start with the 30 needed to have a minimum 5 in each stat, and then another 50 or so to distribute as you see fit.
Every few levels, let's say level 3 and every 3rd level thereafter, you gain one extra point.

Then you get character skills that govern additional benefits.
For the sake of simplicity, let's say we keep the current ones, and just tweak the values.

Then you get talents, again, for simplicity let's assume they work as they do now.