Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Stabbey
The key difference is that if you go to Luculla too early, you could go back to Cyseal and scoop up the XP you missed. You can't go back to the Island of Appropriately-Levelled-Enemies in this game.

Do we know this is definitely the case? It seems that the Magisters' handy death camp has been mortally wounded and will likely be exposed for what it is once our party escapes; but even without a logical explanation, it's possible we can still travel back and forth.

Unless I've missed the point and it'll be like slaying the seemingly endless goblin imp things in Orobas for 1XP each...

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The biggest problem I have is that the death camp doesn't feel like a death camp, Magisters have no living quarters or barracks or storage areas, and there are way too few of them & they're way too weak. In 1 hour you can sweep Fort Joy if you have just Snipe & Tactical Retreat on your ranger.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Kelsier
The biggest problem I have is that the death camp doesn't feel like a death camp, Magisters have no living quarters or barracks or storage areas, and there are way too few of them & they're way too weak. In 1 hour you can sweep Fort Joy if you have just Snipe & Tactical Retreat on your ranger.

Well remember that it isn't meant to SEEM like a death camp and can probably stand up to scrutiny.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I dunno, it seems that the regular magisters get to sleep in tents. Seems to parallel real life that what funding is provided to run the place is misappropriated by the most senior people for their own opulence while the rest of the place is left to rot. And who cares, the sourcerers are sent there for processing by a staff largely comprising the sort of people the military also sends there to be forgotten about. At least that's the way I see it, anyway.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Well remember that it isn't meant to SEEM like a death camp and can probably stand up to scrutiny.

Your comment does not make sense.

Magisters do not have any living quarters, kitchens, mess halls, or storage areas. Those are things which are needed if the fort is intended as a place for magisters to stay at for more than a few hours - whether or not it's a prison or a death camp. It would not be suspicious if those things existed.

Secondly, if it's not meant to seem like a death camp, then the gigantic fucking torture dungeon in the main hall, which is completely open and unguarded should probably be better hidden, if only by such things as "doors with locks" and "guards to stop nosy people poking their heads in". Oh, and there are all those silent monks standing about including a bunch outside on the docks. Those are also a bit of a tip-off.

Fort Joy needs another floor.

vometia, there is NO excuse for the lack of facilities for magisters except "the game developers forgot to do sensible set design". There's no in-game logic which can rationalize it.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
vometia, there is NO excuse for the lack of facilities for magisters except "the game developers forgot to do sensible set design". There's no in-game logic which can rationalize it.

I suppose I've got used to game worlds giving us the "abridged version" of what would actually constitute the reality such a world. Which isn't to say I disagree with you, just that I've become used to saying a resigned "meh" and moving on.

Except for Oblivion's lack of toilets. I complained about that quite a lot, and eventually added quite a lot of toilets to my expanded castles mod.

J'aime le fromage.
M
stranger
stranger
M
you all only partially answered my question. Where can I find someone to remove the collars from my party ? I have killed all of the magisters in the fort and prison and I'm at lvl 6 with some really great equipment and weapons. I saved Gareth, but he hasn't offered to remove them in our many conversations. Do I have to use the wand and destroy all of the shriekers first ? That's the last bit of the island that I have to open up.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
As soon as Gareth is back at the seeker camp, the girl there (I forget her name offhand, but sitting with a dwarf near the beach entrance) will remove everyone's collar. You don't need to deal with the shriekers first.

J'aime le fromage.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by vometia
As soon as Gareth is back at the seeker camp, the girl there (I forget her name offhand, but sitting with a dwarf near the beach entrance) will remove everyone's collar. You don't need to deal with the shriekers first.
Leya is her name. She will also ..
.. remove all your collars before saving Gareth if you are talk to her as Lohse and take the correct dialogue options.

N
old hand
old hand
N

Your comment does not make sense.

Magisters do not have any living quarters, kitchens, mess halls, or storage areas. Those are things which are needed if the fort is intended as a place for magisters to stay at for more than a few hours - whether or not it's a prison or a death camp. It would not be suspicious if those things existed.

Secondly, if it's not meant to seem like a death camp, then the gigantic fucking torture dungeon in the main hall, which is completely open and unguarded should probably be better hidden, if only by such things as "doors with locks" and "guards to stop nosy people poking their heads in". Oh, and there are all those silent monks standing about including a bunch outside on the docks. Those are also a bit of a tip-off.

Two things
1) Fort Joy is relatively recent.
and
2) Not only did they not create the torture dungeon themselves (they are working out of the old fortress), BUT that isn't anything special.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I'll try her. Thanks

veteran
veteran

Two things
1) Fort Joy is relatively recent.
and
2) Not only did they not create the torture dungeon themselves (they are working out of the old fortress), BUT that isn't anything special.

1) But that's the thing: apparently, it isn't. In the seeker camp by the vines to the bell is the lizard Bahara who says that she "was like you once, a lost soul driven by instinct from the bowels of Fort Joy." and that she has been at the Sanctuary of Amadia for "several years".

I could ignore the debris in the prison and maybe even some of the makeshift nature of the Magister's non-living-arrangements if Fort Joy was only very recently taken over and repurposed, but I can't ignore that if another part of the game says it's been several years.

Anyway, it's still a problem if Fort Joy has been open for only one week. Guards would still need places to eat and sleep. I realize that game worlds are an abstraction and they can't show every house in the village needed to house the 50-100 NPC's who roam the streets, but it's hard to ignore the facts that the prisoners have tents and bedrolls, and a kitchen and storeroom, and the guards do not, despite the fact that the prisoners are supposed to be the poorly treated ones.

2) I'm not talking about the rest of the island and Braccus's old ruins. I'm talking about "The Flenser's Playground", which is in Fort Joy's basement without even a locked door in front of it. You can't credibly tell me that has nothing to do with the Magisters.

N
old hand
old hand
N
What I mean is "Ohh no... a torture chamber in a non-modern day prison... ohh the humanity"

The wardens are probably expected to torture the prisoners, even to death, from time to time.

veteran
veteran
What I mean is "Ohh no... a torture chamber in a non-modern day prison... ohh the humanity"

The wardens are probably expected to torture the prisoners, even to death, from time to time.

Reminder that the official story is that all the Sourcerors are not being rounded up because they are all evil criminals, but because Voidwoken are drawn to Sourcerors, so the point is to keep them away from the general public.

Additional reminder that Paladin Cork of the Divine Paladins exists as an NPC in the prison, here to inspect the prison, and he and the Paladins do not like the existence of this place. Paladin Cork also threatens that "if any prisoners are being harmed..." (The unspoken implication is that the existence of Fort Joy is only grudgingly tolerated, and the Paladins will come in and shut the Magisters down by force.) So yeah, a torture chamber would definitely fall under the "severe no-no" category.

veteran
veteran
It's seems to be less a torture chamber and more a butcher chamber, regarding all the death bodies and rotting meat. It also kind of a lab for creating the meat golems.

It is not locked away, because no other than Magister is expected to see it. Prisoner who enter the fort, won't leave it again, except as monstrosity, as monk or a corpse. Cork wants to get in an inspect, but they would never allow it.

The fact, how less they care about hiding, just proves their madness even more.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Personally I bet Cork did an impromptu inspection.

They will likely delay Cork endlessly until they hide the more incriminating parts.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Guards would still need places to eat and sleep.
You could argue that as the sun never sets and it is always daytime (thank Gods for that) that they don't need to sleep smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard