I spoke to a friend about this and he came up with the idea of teleporting the cat onto a pile of sand in the sea. Theoretically it should work since the cat will be unable to run off the miniature island (provided one exists in the game) but I'm not sure if the damage from using the teleportation spell would kill it. You could perhaps apply some physical armour to the cat before you teleport it to absorb most of the damage.

This had me thinking that it might be possible to simply make a cage consisting of barrels and crates around the cat so that it won't be able to escape and can be retrieved by simply moving one of the obstacles. Unless the cat is capable of teleporting/despawning if it doesn't move around enough or needs to be by your side when you enter certain areas I think this might be the best solution.

Originally Posted by Adrianna
In the full release the cat will continue to follow you until the end of act 1... its not so bad as the cat runs away from combat.. if you start a fight the cat runs a good distance away from where the fight is taking place.. that doesnt mean it cant die of course but from what ive seen it does run a good distance away from where the fight started if possible.

this was shown during their undead gameplay thing.

and also the cat will no longer despawn in the full game.. only when killed.

Yeah, I figured it just despawned because Larian hadn't implemented the next parts of the cat's story in the early access version. I've tried bringing it with me when I went into combat encounters and I think it's a bit too risky. Even though it runs a couple of metres behind you it can still get hit by a stray arrow from the Ricochet or Marksman's fang skill among many others. Not to mention that once the battle is over and it runs up to your party it might wander straight through a fire or poison field.