Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#902114 23/09/23 02:51 PM
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Occasionally, I come across something small that strikes me as odd in the game. But, of course, I don't want to make a thread on each and every small thing. So, I figured why not make one thread for all of them.

Are there any small things that stand out as strange/humorous/odd/unrealistic to you?

Here's something I was just thinking about:

Arron, the trader.

1. He tells you the tieflings have to be kicked out because there aren't enough supplies to go around. Then he tells you he's selling a few "bits and bobs" he no longer needs.

2. Given how often his inventory replenishes, I'd say there are plenty of supplies to go around.

3. Also, he tells you to remember that you're not the only one in need... but judging from his inventory, I think maybe I am.

J
J
I guess that's an example of Ludonarrative Dissonance (a term that used to be very popular among games journalists, but fell out of fashion because like many things on the internet it became overused). When the gameplay and the story you're being told don't exactly mesh.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Probably the biggest example of this is the tension between act 1's "WE NEED TO GET THIS TADPOLE OUT OF OUR HEADS OR WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! IN FACT, WHY ARE WE NOT DYING YET?!" narrative, and the fact that the game actively punishes you for not taking enough long rests because a bunch of companion story beats are hidden behind long rests.

B
old hand
old hand
B
All the modern, mostly American, phrasing that features in dialogue. It's "making me antsy". There are lots more but I can't bring myself to type them out - I have standards when it comes to English.

In the Selunite Resistance quest there is a reference to "met a man who wasn't there" in the Mason's Log. I've finished the quest but have no idea who or what that meant. In fact the entire quest seems pointless.

Last edited by Beechams; 23/09/23 03:08 PM.
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Here's another:

1. After the nautiloid crashes, Shadowheart tells you that Lae'zel must have run off and left you both there on the beach.

2. In fact, when freeing Lae'zel from the cage trap, there's an option to accuse her of having done just that.

3. But why would it ever occur to me that Lae'zel lived through the crash? There are bodies everywhere. I would have just assumed that her body was lost in the crash, or crushed under the weight of debris, or lost in the river.

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Beechams
In the Selunite Resistance quest there is a reference to "met a man who wasn't there" in the Mason's Log. I've finished the quest but have no idea who or what that meant.

I believe that's referring to Raphael. I get the impression that the mason made a pact with Raphael to take out the Sharrans, which led to Yurgir's attack on Grymforge and subsequent "imprisonment" in the Gauntlet, looking for the last dark justiciar.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by JandK
Here's another:

1. After the nautiloid crashes, Shadowheart tells you that Lae'zel must have run off and left you both there on the beach.

2. In fact, when freeing Lae'zel from the cage trap, there's an option to accuse her of having done just that.

3. But why would it ever occur to me that Lae'zel lived through the crash? There are bodies everywhere. I would have just assumed that her body was lost in the crash, or crushed under the weight of debris, or lost in the river.

Given the size of the nautiloid it is conceivable that she exited the wreck on the opposite side to you and had no idea where you were, dead or alive. She may have stumbled off heavily concussed.

What always makes me laugh about the nautiloid crash is when it is plummeting through sky and Minthara and Dror Ragzlin watch it without a flicker of any emotion. Another day, another plummeting nautiloid. Same old same old.

Last edited by Beechams; 23/09/23 03:20 PM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
In the Selunite Resistance quest there is a reference to "met a man who wasn't there" in the Mason's Log. I've finished the quest but have no idea who or what that meant.

I believe that's referring to Raphael. I get the impression that the mason made a pact with Raphael to take out the Sharrans, which led to Yurgir's attack on Grymforge and subsequent "imprisonment" in the Gauntlet, looking for the last dark justiciar.

Wow, I would never have figured that out.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
One thing that bothers me early on is that this gigantic alien ship that crashed extremely close by, and yet people seem to have a very muted reaction to it. Like neither the tieflings or the druids seem all that impressed (granted they do have other things to worry about.) But even the looters in the area are just like, "Oh yeah we're gonna loot that ship." Why would you even call it a ship....? To you, ships are wooden things that sail on rivers. Wouldnt you be simultaneously curious and mind-blown by the nautiloid?

Another little thing: I usually dont mind SOME anachronisms, but at some point Mizora has a line referring to "giving you a gold star" or something to that effect. Gold star, as in gold star stickers. Unless "giving a gold star" had some pre-modern definition that didn't refer to stickers.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Arron is a capitalist. He's not going to give anything away even if he doesn't need it anymore.

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Some of the info tips seem to be consistently wrong. For instance:

1. When you hover over Detect Thoughts in dialogue, it shows a Wis bonus. But when you go to roll it, you use your Int modifier instead.

2. When you're in Auntie Ethel's swamp as a sorcerer, it offers a Sorcerer/Charisma roll, but when you go to roll it, you use your Int modifier instead.

3. Mage Hand says "permanent," but it disappears after ten turns. It would make more sense to me as permanent (until it takes damage), which would work well with the short rest refresh requirement. But ten turns? Why does it say permanent in the tool tip?

I'm sure there are others. Those are just three off the top of my head.

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Playing the dark urge and talking to Shadowheart in the opening romance scene with wine.

She asks you to tell her something about yourself. At which point you have the option to share a memory from baldur's gate. She thinks you know the city well.

When she's asked about herself, she says she can't remember.

The thing is, the dark urge can't remember anything either. It's all about Shadowheart's lack of memory; meanwhile, the dark urge is sharing memories the dark urge shouldn't have.

it's the little things. They're never big enough to bother reporting, and I can usually skip over them in the game, but they stick out to me. Moments that are just off.

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The elder rothe who outlived his mother and his mother's mother and so on.

Um. Isn't that normal? For the child to outlive the parent and grandparent and so on?

B
old hand
old hand
B
I thought of this one last night.

The attack on the Last Light. At the start of the cutscene when the Winged Horrors are arriving, a couple of Harpers run in and are one-shotted by a Horror using some sort of ray. The Harpers go down looking as if they are getting the Shadow-Curse thing but they are just dead. Why has only this Horror got this ability and why does it only use it once?
The second thing is the Horror which swoops down and lifts Mol. Why?

This one has been annoying me for a while. Reithwin. This has happened twice. If you approach the Mason's Guild from the east where the main gate is on your right there is a wagon by the RH gate post. Behind the wagon you can spot Korilla hiding. As I got closer she beams out. The only reason I knew it was her is because I saw her name in the floating text as she disappeared. The first time I had to look up who she is. I recently saw a YTer actually meet her and she gave him some sort of cryptic one-liner message before disappearing. The left the YTer totally confused as he had no idea who she was or what she was talking about.

Thinking about it, this would fit in with your explanation regarding the Selunite Resistance quest.

L
stranger
stranger
L
All the modern, mostly American, phrasing that features in dialogue. It's "making me antsy". There are lots more but I can't bring myself to type them out - I have standards when it comes to English.

In the Selunite Resistance quest there is a reference to "met a man who wasn't there" in the Mason's Log. I've finished the quest but have no idea who or what that meant. In fact the entire quest seems pointless.
Sounds like a reference to the poem Antigonish.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there!
He wasn't there again today,
Oh how I wish he'd go away!

Antigonish at Wikipedia

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Lok52

Antigonish at Wikipedia

I thought of that but couldn't see anyone at Larian knowing it.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Originally Posted by Lok52

Antigonish at Wikipedia

Uh, why not? It's one of the most famous poems in the world.

addict
addict
The elder rothe who outlived his mother and his mother's mother and so on.

Um. Isn't that normal? For the child to outlive the parent and grandparent and so on?

I can't believe I had not noticed this! And I really can't believe both the text writer and the voice actor didn't have any problems with delivering that line.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by WizardGnome
Uh, why not? It's one of the most famous poems in the world.

Not even close to being one of the most famous poems in the world. It's certainly not close to being one of the most famous poems in the UK. I doubt that most of Africa, Asia, South America and Europe have even heard of it.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
But why would it ever occur to me that Lae'zel lived through the crash?
They're just two different girls. One died, the second in a cage... These are gitjanki, who counts them at all

keep in mind that everything you say will be translated by Google and misunderstood
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard