Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SirHess Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Hello anyone/everyone. I've been tooling around with the DM Kit today and just tested a few things, one of which I want to know if there are any plans to update.

I am a DM that does not have an entire campaign built from start to finish before session 1. I do this so I can let the party make decisions that can affect the outcome of the story, also because I want to play sooner rather than later.

I tested where I had the part join into the pre-made Campaign and we did a couple of things. I then created a [Save] file of the progress and exited the campaign.

From here I loaded the DM Kit to edit the campaign to add a new scene/level (as though I was adding more to the campaign after we started it) as well as made some changes to the already created scenes.

I loaded the save game back up and had the party join back in, however, the changes I had made, did not show after loading back into the game. The only work around I can think for now is to create a multi-part campaign to play as I create it.

However, this brings it's own disadvantages where the party is forced to create themselves again and re-gear (which may be different gear) before we can continue with next part.

Are there any plans to change this so a campaign that has been started can be edited by the DM between sessions to add more story, or a character transfer system so the players can pull their characters from campaign to campaign?

I apologize for the long winded explanation/questions, but I'm hoping at least one of these changes is considered to help DMs who don't want to sit for weeks to create a multi session campaign before players can even jump in.

Kind regards,

SirHess

Last edited by SirHess; 16/09/17 02:09 AM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
I've only worked on the campaign itself and had not thought about how editing a campaign in-progress would go. I haven't tested this to verify or see if there's any workaround yet. I'd definitely want to edit the campaign between sessions much like someone would a regular customized D&D campaign.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Maybe one possibility would be to copy and paste your characters into the new save in Divinity Editor 2.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I was a bit devastated to learn of this limitation as I too was planing on building the world in stages in-between my players weekly game. However I think I've found a bit of a workaround (currently untested).

1) Prepare the first part of your campaign.
2) Have your players play part one.
3) At the end of the session save the game.
4) When you want to add the next lot of content use load from the GM Mode menu rather than Prepare.

You'll be in play mode (not prepare) but I've not found anything I cant do in that yet.

I've not tested this yet with players. But really hope it works as I think or my epic on going campaign is out the window.

The only downside I can see to doing this is the changes you make would not be present in the base save so if you were planning on publishing that to the workshop for others to play your edits would not be there

Last edited by sedilis; 19/09/17 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I think it would be good to be able to take an existing Campaign, and Copy that to create a new one. This would allow you to continue an existing campaign, edit it to add one the new segments (or start over for a whole new one), and even allow you to preserve the existing characters that are in it. This kills all the birds with one stone. Just sayin.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just tested this by adding a new area mod to my game, loaded an old session and the new content was there to work with.
Just make sure you activate the new mod in the main menu.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
S
stranger
stranger
S
[quote=sedilis]
4) When you want to add the next lot of content use load from the GM Mode menu rather than Prepare.
[/quote]
Tested this now and it works just fine.

Would be really nice to be able to save/export/import player characters though. I cant see anyway to permakill a player character and have them reroll a new one or have a new player join.

S
SirHess Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
[quote=sedilis][quote=sedilis]
[/quote]

Would be really nice to be able to save/export/import player characters though. I cant see anyway to permakill a player character and have them reroll a new one or have a new player join. [/quote]

Holy crap... I can't believe I didn't think of this work around. I was hoping to not have to use mods and this works perfectly! Thank you for the idea and hopefully they'll still look into character transfer.

F
stranger
stranger
F
[quote=SirHess][quote=sedilis][quote=sedilis]
[/quote]

Would be really nice to be able to save/export/import player characters though. I cant see anyway to permakill a player character and have them reroll a new one or have a new player join. [/quote]

Holy crap... I can't believe I didn't think of this work around. I was hoping to not have to use mods and this works perfectly! Thank you for the idea and hopefully they'll still look into character transfer. [/quote]

Yeah, I don't see a way to be able to start with 2-3 players and add more in-case someone wanted to join down the line. Perhaps someone will find a workaround for this.

Also, having the ability to re-roll would be a great addition. Although I think trying to balance Divinity's system around permadeath could be pretty difficult. The battle system is such that people tend to die fairly often and a death or two in a party of 4 is almost expected in some encounters.

journeyman
journeyman
The possibility of re-roll a new character is a must, no excuses.
What if a new character joins in? What if someone gets tired of their character and wants to try something new after they die (since is supposed to be a godamn pen-and-paper-freedom style) i can't wrap my head around why they made the system like this.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard