Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
old hand
old hand
S
I will be straightforward.

When I something to make me question the nature of life and how thorough my ideals are... I'll go for the work of some philosopher. Camus or that general direction.

"The Absolute" let's me know in two words that it's a cult. A cult with aspirations of making everything one.

High literature? Nope. Still got potential for a fun game. Not really my preference for a villain, but neither is it a deal breaker for being too barren. We've seen few true villains yet and a great many minions. I'll reserve judgement for the ones pulling the strings.

K
Banned
Banned
K
One ‘last’ thing I will say is that I find it intriguing, from a purely psychological POV, how the Larian-cult can never see any wrong in their god: how they will turn somersaults to justify anything the non-indoctured see as tripe.

I’m referring to no-one here with this comment – I’m just saying, there are those out there for whom Larian can literally do no wrong, short of killing children. And even then, you never know with these people: their tone is starry-eyed, zombified, slavering wankery of their deity.

It was refreshing, though, to read the more sober criticisms here.

But go on Steam, and there more than a few characters who are literally addicted to this game, for whatever reason, and it is to them nectar from the gods of gaming. They will keep playing and playing, over and over, the same scenarios, for 100s of hours. Anyone who believes the bar may, perhaps, have been set somewhat low is immediately eviscerated.

Stunning, really, that such low expectations exist – but hey, it’s only a game. And a game I happen to think is very playably average: a competent, simple-minded distraction from the pressure of work and whatnot, but as forgettable as chewing a piece of spearmint gum.

Then again, I never believed in any gods, so maybe I’m just the wrong audience…

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by konmehn
One ‘last’ thing I will say is that I find it intriguing, from a purely psychological POV, how the Larian-cult can never see any wrong in their god: how they will turn somersaults to justify anything the non-indoctured see as tripe.

I’m referring to no-one here with this comment – I’m just saying, there are those out there for whom Larian can literally do no wrong, short of killing children. And even then, you never know with these people: their tone is starry-eyed, zombified, slavering wankery of their deity.

It was refreshing, though, to read the more sober criticisms here.

But go on Steam, and there more than a few characters who are literally addicted to this game, for whatever reason, and it is to them nectar from the gods of gaming. They will keep playing and playing, over and over, the same scenarios, for 100s of hours. Anyone who believes the bar may, perhaps, have been set somewhat low is immediately eviscerated.

Stunning, really, that such low expectations exist – but hey, it’s only a game. And a game I happen to think is very playably average: a competent, simple-minded distraction from the pressure of work and whatnot, but as forgettable as chewing a piece of spearmint gum.

Then again, I never believed in any gods, so maybe I’m just the wrong audience…
Man, this is my first Larian game and I'm already in a cult? Wow, the devil works hard, but Larian works harder!

(Wait guys, do we have a rivalry with the dark souls types? I swear, they're out gaming us. They have freaking competitions and we have an unfinished game!)

K
Banned
Banned
K
Originally Posted by Silver/
Man, this is my first Larian game and I'm already in a cult? Wow, the devil works hard, but Larian works harder!

You actually posted your comment right at the same time I was writing mine (check the times), so I never even saw it until I hit 'post reply'.

Like I said though, there was no reference to anyone here. Refer to the line: 'I’m referring to no-one here with this comment' in the comment you quoted...

Last edited by konmehn; 18/02/23 09:47 PM. Reason: typo
S
old hand
old hand
S

You actually posted you comment right at the same time I was writing mine (check the times), so I never even saw it until I hit 'post reply'.

Like I said though, there was no reference to anyone here. Refer to the line: 'I’m referring to no-one here with this comment' in the comment you quoted...
And yet, I fill most of your boxes, don't I?

I'm not a fan of calling any opinion someone doesn't like "cult behavior". There's superfans for the seemingly most boring things out there.

Some even call themselves scientists. I remember beetle guy, who eventually outstudied everything there is to know about beetles. Poor guy. Switched to history, but they're picking on him for his unified theory of history since it's not a beetle.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I see what you mean, but I don't really think there's a problem with us having no idea about the Absolute and what it really is. It's a mystery and it's meant to be a mystery. I'm thinking back to Pillars of Eternity; sure you physically SEE Thaos early on, but if I recall correctly, you don't really get any context to know he's significant or the main bad guy until like, act 2. It's not fundamentally different from how we become aware of the Absolute early on but probably aren't going to find out what its deal is until later, most likely at Moonrise tower. I think the real problem is that we lack a conflict to emotionally invest in. The threat of the tadpole really falls flat, since the game does a poor job of selling the threat of it, but at the same time it never really gives us a cathartic moment of releasing the initial threat it set up so we can feel good about exploring further. The narrative still pretends the tadpole is the most important thing when the storytelling and gameplay tell us not to worry about it.

I think that structurally, The Absolute (I actually like the name, by the way. It's firm and to the point, simple in a good way I feel) isn't even meant to be the 'main villain'. Or at least, the absolute ISN'T structurally the main villain whatever the intent of the writers was. It's a mystery to solve, same as the tadpoles. I don't think not having a clear villain is necessary from the beginning, especially since Larian is clearly trying for more of a sandbox approach to encourage exploration. But the story is just unfocused and the parts ultimately don't work together.

And to address your latest post, I would argue that our Tav is very much bland, unremarkable and non-special as an MC. Certainly if you step back and compare them to the rest of the party. Also to bring up your point about the openning being 'Marvel-inspired' I have to disagree with you there. What Larian is doing is writing 101: starting with something especially exciting to ensure you grab the audience's attention. But like everything else Larian does, they cranked it up way too far. Based on what I've seen in the Original Sin games, this is still entirely within their style and to blame Marvel for it is just taking an unnecessary shot.

I agree with parts of what you say but just to be clear, my intention was not to blame Marvel; I really don't think they can take the credit for that kind of writing/dialogue. It's more that that particular 'tone' doesn't really appeal to me. For anyone who has seen The Last Jedi during the opening scene where Poe Dameron is facing off solo in his little ship against a Star Destroyer (or whatever it is, I'm not a Star Wars lore expert), the dialogue is full of wise-cracks and has an OTT comical flavour which I just found a bit immature and not very believable. For whatever reason I found much of the BG dialogue reminiscent of this particular style and it's just not for me. Some people like it, that's fine but as I have said before, it feels different from the overall tone of previous BG games.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Etruscan
the dialogue is full of wise-cracks and has an OTT comical flavour which I just found a bit immature and not very believable. For whatever reason I found much of the BG dialogue reminiscent of this particular style and it's just not for me. Some people like it, that's fine but as I have said before, it feels different from the overall tone of previous BG games.

I must admit, it always puzzles me when folk say stuff like this … not that folk prefer their fantasy to be more serious, which is of course perfectly fine, but when they see BG1 & 2 as a contrast to BG3 in this regard. I love the original games but their tone is all over the place and they’re jam-packed with jokes, silliness, affectionate spoofs and comedy characters along with their more serious themes. Based on what we’ve seen so far, I actually find BG3 far less silly, though admittedly the silly humour it has probably hits harder when all dialogue is voiced. We can of course have different views of how successful the wise-cracking OTT comedy is, but for me its simple presence isn’t a differentiator.

Personally, I’m neutral on whether and how much comedy is part of a good RPG. I don’t believe it’s essential, though I agree with those who have said POE, for example, probably takes itself too seriously. I think I tend to prefer RPGs which send me on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, including making me laugh, making me sad, shocking me, and so on. I wouldn’t expect a consistent tone from an RPG any more than I would from real life, and I want to see all kinds of characters - and be able to be all kinds of characters - in the world they create, and have moments of fun and lightheartedness in amongst darkness and tragedy.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Originally Posted by Etruscan
the dialogue is full of wise-cracks and has an OTT comical flavour which I just found a bit immature and not very believable. For whatever reason I found much of the BG dialogue reminiscent of this particular style and it's just not for me. Some people like it, that's fine but as I have said before, it feels different from the overall tone of previous BG games.

I must admit, it always puzzles me when folk say stuff like this … not that folk prefer their fantasy to be more serious, which is of course perfectly fine, but when they see BG1 & 2 as a contrast to BG3 in this regard. I love the original games but their tone is all over the place and they’re jam-packed with jokes, silliness, affectionate spoofs and comedy characters along with their more serious themes. Based on what we’ve seen so far, I actually find BG3 far less silly, though admittedly what silliness there is probably hits harder when all dialogue is voiced. We can of course have different views of how successful the wise-cracking OTT comedy is, but for me its simple presence isn’t a differentiator.

Personally, I’m neutral on whether and how much comedy is part of a good RPG. I don’t believe it’s essential, though I agree with those who have said POE, for example, probably takes itself too seriously. I think I tend to prefer RPGs which send me on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, including making me laugh, making me sad, shocking me, and so on. I wouldn’t expect a consistent tone from an RPG any more than I would from real life, and I want to see all kinds of characters - and be able to be all kinds of characters - in the world they create, and have moments of fun and lightheartedness in amongst darkness and tragedy.
I think it matters what kind of comedy we are talking about. There's a lot of different kinds of comedy, and I think it's fair to say that quippy, wise-cracking one-liners are over-represented. At the same time, I think having more dry, situational, ironic comedy in greater representation could be nice. BG2 had aggressively comedic moments of different types. BG3 is definitely more serious than DOS2. Maybe tweaking the kind of humor represented is the way out.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I think having more dry, situational, ironic comedy in greater representation could be nice. BG2 had aggressively comedic moments of different types. BG3 is definitely more serious than DOS2. Maybe tweaking the kind of humor represented is the way out.

I suspect that this is always going to be subjective and unfortunately I don’t think there’s there’s any easy way out that’s going to suit everyone, or any right answer. All we can do is share our impressions to give each other and Larian a sense of how things are landing for different folk.

And for me, personally, while some stuff could be polished, I don’t see the amount or quality of the comedy in BG3 so far as problematic, and generally enjoy the silly bits (even if the animals sometimes get too silly), the blacker comedy of Ethel, Mol’s gang and the goblins, the different ways in which our companions can be amusing, and so on.

I think my biggest problem with comedy in the game is that I don’t feel I can play an amusing, witty PC because the protagonist lines either aren’t there or aren’t well-written enough. I really hope that’s going to be addressed in the full release as it’s not fun feeling my charismatic bard, for example, is too often the butt of others’ jokes without having the wit to dish it out in return.

Mainly, though, my issues with the writing lie elsewhere entirely, but I and others have already discussed that at length in other threads.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
K
Banned
Banned
K
I actually find BG3 far less silly

Funniest fucking thing I’ve ever read in my life – I might reply to it properly next Fri after a week’s work, but I can’t stop laughing rn…

Where do you even begin with how ‘silly’ BG3 is?

Was the flame sword at level one a ‘sober’ choice for you? Or how about the campy little clicky-finger thing the illithid does in the cinematic?

It’s not ‘silly’?

Is it not silly to have demons, dragons, illithids, hell etc at level one – is that very much sober compared to the old games?

I can’t stop laughing…

Clearly the worst written game I’ve ever witnessed for a long time, by miles and miles, and a very small fraction of people love all this stuff: will defend it to their last breath.

Last edited by konmehn; 19/02/23 01:50 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
As for Absolute, much like the simple terms found in the nautiloid, Perfection, I've taken it to be a connection between the cult and the Mind-Flayers. Again, that could just be me trying to connect things together.
I have no doubt there is a reason and meaning behind that name, but when I hear "cult of an Absolute" I can't help think they are just vodka drinking regulars.

Edit.
Joking aside, I am trying to figure out why Absolute seems so laughable to me. It might be that most of the time we hear about the Absolute are from goblins and they are not the best of wingmans.

Last edited by Wormerine; 19/02/23 01:55 AM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Wormerine
As for Absolute, much like the simple terms found in the nautiloid, Perfection, I've taken it to be a connection between the cult and the Mind-Flayers. Again, that could just be me trying to connect things together.
I have no doubt there is a reason and meaning behind that name, but when I hear "cult of an Absolute" I can't help think they are just vodka drinking regulars.
Thanks for the newest line to haunt me forever.

God, imagine walking into the "final boss room", and there's just drows drinking Vodka. Wrong cult of the Absolute!

S
old hand
old hand
S
I actually find BG3 far less silly

Funniest fucking thing I’ve ever read in my life – I might reply to it properly next Fri after a week’s work, but I can’t stop laughing rn…

Where do you even begin with how ‘silly’ BG3 is?

Was the flame sword at level one a ‘sober’ choice for you? Or how about the campy little clicky-finger thing the illithid does in the cinematic?

It’s not ‘silly’?

Is it not silly to have demons, dragons, illithids, hell etc at level one – is that very much sober compared to the old games?

I can’t stop laughing…

Clearly the worst written game I’ve ever witnessed for a long time, by miles and miles, and a very small fraction of people love all this stuff: will defend it to their last breath.
So you're one of those people that would attack lord of the rings for being silly and "woke" were it to come out today. Enlightening.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Thanks for the newest line to haunt me forever.

God, imagine walking into the "final boss room", and there's just drows drinking Vodka. Wrong cult of the Absolute!

Sounds like a chill kickback.

K
Banned
Banned
K
So you're one of those people that would attack lord of the rings for being silly and "woke" were it to come out today. Enlightening.

Hahahahaha

Oh fuck…

Where did the lord of the rings come from

Hahahaha…

Holy shit, my sides are splitting

S
old hand
old hand
S
Sir konmehn -- is that pronounced con-man? -- while your fear of judgement for being a high fantasy nerd may haunt you for the rest of your life, some people enjoy the /unusually/ silly. Your insistence about how out of place it is is a compliment.

I would hate to step into a bleak world of industrialism even in my free time. One characterised by deeming anything not profitable childlike and hence undesirable for adults.

Tolkien was an insufferable tree hugger. One, with no enforcement of heteronormativity among elves. Even defining love free of the amatonormative.

How silly!

K
Banned
Banned
K
Sir konmehn ...

There's a block button. But look up my post history - the greasemonkey script I wrote is 100 times better, I'm quite proud of it. Just add my name to array I provided there, squire - it's getting a bit too surreal...

// ==UserScript==
// @name Larian Forums Blacklist
// @require http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js
// ==/UserScript==

const BLACK_LIST = [
'hated person'
];

const USER_REMOVED_TEXT = 'bye bye';

const findUserMatch = (userName) => {
const matchedUser = BLACK_LIST.find(u => u === userName);

return matchedUser;
}

const isThreadPage = () => {
return $('.author-content').length > 0;
}

const searchAndRemoveUser = () => {
const users = $('.username');

users.each(function() {
const user = $(this);

if (findUserMatch(user.text())) {
user.parents('.t_outer').remove();
}
});
}

const searchAndRemoveQuotes = () => {
const quotes = $('.ubbcode-header');

if (quotes.length > 0) {
quotes.each(function() {
const quote = $(this);
const quotedUser = quote.text().split(' ')[3] || null;

if (findUserMatch(quotedUser)) {
quote.parents('.ubbcode-block').remove();
}
});
}
}

const searchLinksAndRemoveUser = () => {
$('a').each(function() {
const link = $(this);

if (findUserMatch(link.text().trim())) {
link.text(USER_REMOVED_TEXT);
}
});
}

const searchAuthoredByAndRemoveUser = () => {
$('.small').each(function() {
const authoredBy = $(this);
const authoredByUser = authoredBy.text().split(' ')[1] || null;

if (findUserMatch(authoredByUser)) {
authoredBy.text(USER_REMOVED_TEXT);
}
});
}

const cleanseThreadPage = () => {
searchAndRemoveUser();
searchAndRemoveQuotes();
searchLinksAndRemoveUser();
}

const cleanseGeneralPages = () => {
searchLinksAndRemoveUser();
searchAuthoredByAndRemoveUser();
}

const blackListUsers = () => {
(isThreadPage()) ? cleanseThreadPage() : cleanseGeneralPages();
}

blackListUsers();

It's a very good script - very good...

Last edited by konmehn; 19/02/23 02:40 AM.
veteran
veteran
to answer the first question = story, long-short lots of little side nods to give Elf a different treatment than Drow or Dwarf
Larian has some skill at story telling and yes they have a certain wacky feel but people will forgive that for a story they liked

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from en.meming.world]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia