Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I'm very fond of dex based martial characters that dabble in magic. Arcane Tricksters, Eldritch Knights and Rangers are my favorites in 5e overall. Ranger+Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight+Arcane Trickster if we get multiclassing.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
Rather to my surprise, caster druid. I never played a druid in the earlier games because I didn't find true neutral to be fun

S
stranger
stranger
S
WRT combat: Eagle Barbarian. However, the total silliness of running to high ground make diving strikes in some fights was too hilarious to take seriously at times.
WRT RP: Halfling Valour Bard with minimal wisdom. Played him as hopelessly naive, kind and optimistic in the face of all the horribly $%^$#-up people and events in the story.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
1. Drow Dex Twilight Cleric (Boy it sure would be nice to skulk about in the dark...sorry couldn't resist...I don't like SCUBA diving in the pool either). Casters Extra Mod from Nexus
2. Wildheart Barbarian (with Polearm Master is next level).
3. Ranger was OK Hunter or Beastmaster
4. Fighter is solid
5. Warlock and Sorcerer are awesome...beat them to death in online campaigns though.
6. Bard Initiate on Wyll

veteran
veteran
Bard [lore]... by a long way
then sorcerer but Wizard is still more powerful i just find it less fun
i enjoy Druid for the extra story

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
enthusiast
enthusiast
So far Thief and Warlock; but that's mainly because I want to eventually RP a multi-class Thief-Warlock-Sorcerer as I enjoy being able to do a bit of everything. The mix of Cunning Action with the extra Bonus Action being able to sneak attack, slip out of melee, Dash out and then Eldritch Blast; or Quicken Spell for 3 Eldritch Blasts per round has me so excited. My lore is that whilst in Avernus as she was about to be roasted by the Red Dragon at the Nautiloid helm, my Rogue made a Pact with the dragon that granted her Warlock powers along with a dash of dragon magic during the blast. Also really loving all the flavour dialogue that comes with being a Drow!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Warlock(Fiend and now GOO)
Cleric(Light)
Fighter(Battlemaster)
Sorcerer(Draconic)
Rogue(Thief)
Paladin(Devotion)

C
stranger
stranger
C
I have played the Druid, Warlock and Sorcerer. Love them all for the dialogue options and the different paths they take you. I think the Lock is my favorite so far though.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
My favorite 2 builds in 5e are are human gloomstalker (3)/totem barbarian (5)/ battlemaster (4) and a half-elf vengance paladine (6)/ wild magic sorcerer (6)... so at this point I'm really looking forward to multiclassing because I love the unique feeling those builds have.

I've tested paladin, ranger and bard so far. Paladin is ok-ish in converstations but I switched to other characters when talking to absolute worshipers because I actually only wanted to fight them and not talk with the risk of becoming an oath breaker. Ranger felt fine overall even though I would love to have the gloomstalker option also I'm missing the upgrades WotC made for the Ranger as I like builds with solid outside of combat skills (BG3 has nothing useful as favorite enemies nor the option for expertise). Bard seems like a good translation to BG3 and its always fun to have a character that can be of use in all situations.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Warlock has been my favorite! I really hope we get the Archfey subclass!

S
S
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
Thief (mostly for RP), Berserker and the Bard. I've only played the latter briefly, but has already successfully supplanted the cleric as a support class for my party.
How is the Thief RP in this game?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SgtSilock
Thief (mostly for RP), Berserker and the Bard. I've only played the latter briefly, but has already successfully supplanted the cleric as a support class for my party.

I like the option to side with the Zhentarim. When you enter the Zhentarim hideout in Waukeen's Rest, IMO you have a funny encounter with the guard Salazon. The guy is so nervous that you have to calm him down first, before he freaks out. But after that you can just give him a hand signal in rogue language and he lets you through to the hideout. Then you talk to the leader called Zarys. During the first conversation she shows herself directly threatening and the conversation turns out to be more of an interrogation and she is also very perceptive in the process, she even notices when you use the Read Thoughts spell on her and you immediately understand that you shouldn't mess with the Zhentarim. However, if you work for her reliable, you can join the Zhentarim family and get access to their special trading stock. I really hope Larian includes the Faction Agent backgound bcs it fits here perfectly. I expect that with this particular background you will have access to the hideout and extra goods from the very first meeting without doing the Find the Missing Shipment quest for the Zhentarim.

In the first act, you can't experience too much as Thief yet, since it's more tailored to rangers and druids with the Druid Grove. For example, I think it's wasted potential that the Tiefling kids got a boring cave hideout. In a Druid Grove it would make sense to have something like a Robin Hood-like complex with tree house hideouts. But you can find a message in the Harpy's Nest that mentions Ninefingers, probably the Ninefingers of "The Guild" (Name of the Thieves Guild) from Baldur's Gate. Moreover one of the Tiefling kids is dazed by the Harpyies lullaby and you can use this opportunity to pickpocket from that kid, before defending it against the Harpyies. You even can support Mol's little gang of Tiefling pickpockets and then secretly rob their hideout. You can rob vendors and buy the goods you need with their own money and you can do some other minor things, which gives you rogue immersion vibes.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 06/01/23 02:16 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I think it depends on what kind of rogue you want to play. I found the RP options (in the sense of the class-specific dialogue anyway) leaned towards the potential professional criminal nature of a rogue, but often didn't feel right for my urchin deep gnome who was very dextrous, sneaky and curious to get into locked places but wasn't in it for the money and wasn't a thief ... taking stuff someone's just left lying around in a locked area in an abandoned temple isn't at all the same thing!

But even so, there were some satisfying dialogue choices, so I wouldn't say it was bad, just that I wished it leant more into the other things a rogue might be as well as (or instead of) a criminal.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen

I think it depends on what kind of rogue you want to play. I found the RP options (in the sense of the class-specific dialogue anyway) leaned towards the potential professional criminal nature of a rogue, but often didn't feel right for my urchin deep gnome who was very dextrous, sneaky and curious to get into locked places but wasn't in it for the money and wasn't a thief ... taking stuff someone's just left lying around in a locked area in an abandoned temple isn't at all the same thing!

But even so, there were some satisfying dialogue choices, so I wouldn't say it was bad, just that I wished it leant more into the other things a rogue might be as well as (or instead of) a criminal.

I find the Criminal background ok, but Faction Agent and Mercenary Veteran are not yet available for my playstyle. Charlartan and Urchin are not my thing, but I can understand you and this way of playing. Smuggler and Spy would also grant a totally different playstyle.

X
stranger
stranger
X
Beast Master Ranger with a Dire Raven Companion + Raven Find Familiar
In level 5 the Dire Raven is so good it's almost broken, with auto-blind, proficiency bonus to damage and this curse ranged attack.
Add Shadowheart's Aid cast at 3rd level and that beast has 31 hp.
Love it!

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I have played Sorcerer, Druid, Wizard, Fighter, Rogue, Bard, and Warlock.

Favorite is Sorcerer. Least favorites being Fighter, Bard, and Warlock. I would rank them as such:
-Sorcerer
-Druid
-Rogue
-Wizard
-Bard
-Fighter
-Warlock.

Warlock is just a caster without the fun of casting.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard