Next Thread
Print Thread
O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
Hi

So I kinda have a fantasy story that I've been wanting to create/share since forever. Since english is not my native language that kinda deterred me from starting writing it as a book.

I was toying with the idea of getting the story out as a campaign with DOS2. I dabbled in the Neverwinter Nights creator as well as making custom maps and scenarios in the Starcraft editor in the past. However I'm pretty certain you need programming skills to make custom/new skills, spells and triggers in the Divinity GM mode?

Who/what/where/how should I go on from here if I want to collaborate with someone who knows programing? I'm guessing that would be mandatory if I want to do something like this?

Seems like a pretty daunting task you've set ahead of yourself. Not that I can be of any help, but why not give us some details on your story to try and see if it may interest someone who can assist you? Also, why not just write your story out in your native language if you're not comfortable enough to do so in English? That kind of thing shouldn't discourage your creativity.

Also, you'd probably have better luck finding help with modding by posting in the modding sub forum, this one is for the GM mode.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ghatt; 29/09/17 09:44 AM.
O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
Thanks!

I thought the GM forum was for the GM mode in DOS2, as in the scenario creator?

Hi!

First you need to decided what you exactly want to do.

If you aiming for tabletop experience with your friends then Game Master mode is your option. Its idea is allow you run tabletop like sessions with experience as close to real life as possible. For this you don't need any programming/art skills - all tools in game will provide you with everything you need to run a campaign and you need just to be a story teller. (i'm advising to see tutorial video or take a look on tutorial campaign). But this mode won't allow you to create standalone campaigns. Like in all table top rpgs you need Game Master to run it and players to enjoy it. To allow players and GM full freedom of choice this mode does not include triggers, script programming and explicit quests like in main campaign.

If you aiming for a experience close to Main Campaign of DoS 2 then "Divinity Engine" is your option. There you have full power engine allowing you to create new mods, scenarios and campaign which are can be played in standalone way, i.e. without you running it. This will require you to create your own levels with level editor, writing scripts, setting triggers and etc. I should mention that script language do not require you to be full power programmer, you can master it pretty easy and you also can alter already existing things.

You also can you Divinity Engine to extend GM mode with more level templates, monsters to spawn.

So all in all what you need to do is purely based on what you want to have in the end.

Rocks fall, everyone dies
O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Seter
Hi!

If you aiming for a experience close to Main Campaign of DoS 2 then "Divinity Engine" is your option. There you have full power engine allowing you to create new mods, scenarios and campaign which are can be played in standalone way, i.e. without you running it. This will require you to create your own levels with level editor, writing scripts, setting triggers and etc. I should mention that script language do not require you to be full power programmer, you can master it pretty easy and you also can alter already existing things.

You also can you Divinity Engine to extend GM mode with more level templates, monsters to spawn.

So all in all what you need to do is purely based on what you want to have in the end.

Thanks! This is exactly what I had in mind. Seems I had the two confused. Creating a full standalone campaign was my goal.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard