Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
This problem will probably be a problem for people making maps for GM use in the Editor... but when making custom regions... the GM has the same camera / minimap restictions as the players.

The problem is... it prevents the GM from moving to another "locked" region in the game in (like the second story of a building) to edit it. Furthermore, since the GM doesn't have a player... it isn't possible to update the GM's camera position to another region. It can be changed by possessing an NPC, but the minimap will never be updated to the new region.

Hi!
Indeed Game Master mode currently support levels with 1 region. If you developing a level in the editor i would suggest you to separate it in a few smaller levels - so all of them could be re-used with a different purposes. For your situation with second floor in building you probably would like to have it as separate level because in case you will need to make different states of that story - you could add them without dragging addition floor to it. That second floor with could also be used as "second floor" template for other situations you may need in GM campaign. Don't try to create all levels in the editor immediately suitable for your GM campaign. It much better to think of them as of generic level templates different GMs can re-use in their different adventures. Keeping levels small will allow you to reduce loading time and keep story modular together with having control of players party in a way of where they will go and when.

Rocks fall, everyone dies
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Originally Posted by Seter
Hi!
Indeed Game Master mode currently support levels with 1 region. If you developing a level in the editor i would suggest you to separate it in a few smaller levels - so all of them could be re-used with a different purposes. For your situation with second floor in building you probably would like to have it as separate level because in case you will need to make different states of that story - you could add them without dragging addition floor to it. That second floor with could also be used as "second floor" template for other situations you may need in GM campaign. Don't try to create all levels in the editor immediately suitable for your GM campaign. It much better to think of them as of generic level templates different GMs can re-use in their different adventures. Keeping levels small will allow you to reduce loading time and keep story modular together with having control of players party in a way of where they will go and when.

Small maps is one of the main comolaints about GM mode. This comment was disapointing to jear for me.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Seter
Hi!

I absolutely understand the value of compartmentalizing GM maps into smaller modules, like having the inn separate from the town for example... but separating a second story of rooms from the main floor of the inn? That seems a bit excessive.

I do understand that, to some degree.... but there is a certain appeal having one single inn contained in the same level, without having to load in between. A single inn is small enough to not require multiple levels for "loading" reasons, or even managing player activity. It seem sort of silly to have to load in a second level just because the players want to see what's in the cellar, or to head up to their rooms.

I feel like giving the GM a full minimap is a relatively simple compromise that would really open up the possibility for GM control, even in small scale maps. It's possible it's more complicated than that... but having a "toggle" for a full map and a region map would go along way in my opinion.

Last edited by Pathfinder; 04/10/17 03:18 PM.
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Check this oit for a near perfect gm mode map with two story houses in the coastal village.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=625750#Post625750

Last edited by WMC51; 04/10/17 03:25 PM.
old hand
old hand
I understand restricting certain behaviors if they are based upon technical limitations, but I don't subscribe to this idea of hard limiting the options of GM mode based upon Larian's own philosophy of best practices. I am completely fine with Larian having provided starter assets that nudge the players into adopting their play-style. No doubt it was settled upon after trial and error so we should begin with an open and teachable mind towards their counsel. I respect it wholeheartedly.

Still, I think imposing this limitation runs contrary to the spirit of the DOS series as a whole and especially a game master mode. The beauty of an open game master mode is that there are moments that call for special treatment and you have more tools and flexibility to make them happen. If the technology permits a game master to do it, then the tools should err on permitting it. I wouldn't impose such a gentle risk/reward curve on GMs, some of their best moments may be found in taking some risks.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Thanks, I'll check that out tonight.

I've been experimenting with various work-arounds like placing the 2nd story adjacent to the main floor but raised and simulating a second story, or placing it nearby and only using regions to black out the "blank space" between.

I look forward to seeing the solution in that map, hopefully something that works a little smoother that what I've been trying.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Pathfinder; 04/10/17 03:37 PM.
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by WMC51
Check this oit for a near perfect gm mode map with two story houses in the coastal village.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=625750#Post625750

Okay, I checked it out... unfortunately it also suffers from the same problem.

The second floors of the two story-building exists outside of the GM's minimap, meaning the only way for the GM to even view the 2nd story, is to possess an NPC and follow it up the stairs.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Actually the gm can just click on the stairs without possessing anything. I wasnt paying attention to the mini map when i was in it testing but I just click on the transition from gm view and are taken there.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Oh, I hadn't realized that somehow... that's not so bad then. Actually, it's perfectly fine, since it means I don't have to have a large minimap with all the floors. Thanks!

After investigation - we found a bug that causing minimap not being updated. Will be solved in one of the upcoming patches (not closest one though). We also will give GM a convenient way to travel between regions.

Rocks fall, everyone dies

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard