Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What do you think guys? Will these features be in? VERY much hoping for it!

R
stranger
stranger
R
Ignorant question from myself, but why people want randomized stats to roll instead of actually create your own customized and controlled character with the stats wherever you want?

I want to be able to select which stat to improve and which to substract (like it is now), I don't want randomness, I like to min max.

Last edited by Roktar; 12/03/23 01:51 AM.
P
addict
addict
P
Because rolling offers a wider range and the potential for higher and lower values than the current point buy.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
What do you think guys? Will these features be in? VERY much hoping for it!

There was some discussion of stat rolling recently in this thread. Short answer, though, is that Larian have indicated in the past that there will be different ways of generating stats in the full release.

And there was some chat about variant humans in this one. I’m not aware of any info from Larian on them, but it doesn’t seem out of the question that the PHB variant human is added.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
The real question - as always - is about multiplayer. Nobody cares what you do in a single player game. However stat rolling could be a huge problem for Multiplayer unless they implement it RAW. Although frankly I think point buy is the far superior system.

The sense I get is that people want to endlessly just roll stats forever until they get the perfect ones, like Bg1-2 let you do. I think for some people they will just do that, make 4 characters, play for 5 minutes, then make 4 more characters repeat ad nauseum...

Blackheifer
F
addict
addict
F
Rolled stats (no rerolls) = default array = point buy. The math of this was all hashed out in 3E play test and again in 5E play test.

Rolling stats is a nice way to surprise yourself and play against archetype; maybe your wizard is strong, perhaps your rogue is wise.

They might even unlock stats and simply let you replicate your favourite TT character?

Multiplayer gets trickier, maybe give everyone a 'save array' button and let them reroll like crazy for a minute or two? So long as everyone is within the same ball park, it'd be fine.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Piff
Because rolling offers a wider range and the potential for higher and lower values than the current point buy.
FTFY

Very few people want the lower values imo.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Larian have indicated in the past that there will be different ways of generating stats in the full release.
For some time it was even clearly stated in FAQ topic ...
Not anymore. O_o

Several things dissapeared in last edit ... (24/2 2023)
That make me little worried to be honest. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 12/03/23 09:58 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
The real question - as always - is about multiplayer. Nobody cares what you do in a single player game. However stat rolling could be a huge problem for Multiplayer unless they implement it RAW. Although frankly I think point buy is the far superior system.

The sense I get is that people want to endlessly just roll stats forever until they get the perfect ones, like Bg1-2 let you do. I think for some people they will just do that, make 4 characters, play for 5 minutes, then make 4 more characters repeat ad nauseum...

I'm not sure it really is a problem in multiplayer.
I guess it shouldn't be complicated to let the host define what type of system is allowed in his game.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Roll stats feels like cheesing. But I did miss the 18/00 rule and the ability to lower the attribute to under 8.

Having human variants is cool, but I hope it was achieved via Background instead of via Subraces. And wish the Background could be exclusive for the human race so this race can finally have something special that actually interesting.

veteran
veteran
stat rolling could be a huge problem for Multiplayer
This will sound ignorant from me ...
But i think if you play with people who are unable to agree about rules they will be using in character creation ... you better find another group, since this dont seems like a healthy start. :-/

P
addict
addict
P
The multiplayer issue would be less of a problem if they just let you pre-create characters or export. But, somehow I feel that there would still be arguments, because that's just how people are.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
stat rolling could be a huge problem for Multiplayer
This will sound ignorant from me ...
But i think if you play with people who are unable to agree about rules they will be using in character creation ... you better find another group, since this dont seems like a healthy start. :-/

How much multiplayer have you done?

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Piff
The multiplayer issue would be less of a problem if they just let you pre-create characters or export. But, somehow I feel that there would still be arguments, because that's just how people are.

Oh I love the idea of export, but the initial characters should be created with the same rules and with integrity.

Look, I don't know what Larian plans to do so I have to try to create rules for the Discord in regard to a system that I have NO idea what it will look like. What WILL 100% piss people off is if someone shows up with some uber character that has all 18's or 17's in its stat block. It makes for a boring game and that personality type that would behave that way isn't going to be welcome in most games and most of the people I game with.

Import a character that we have been playing with session to session would be great though - assuming we get additional adventures.

From a power and stats perspective there really isn't anything point buy can't cover if you understand that a 14 is a really powerful stat to have for any ability score.

Blackheifer
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
I would love it to be in, as I'll eventually try a solo run. Also, there is that old BG nostalgia of rolling until those godly stats pop (in 20 years it has only happened once… straight 18s on a human mage). Plus add in all the stats from tomes and Lum the Mad's machine, awesome. It was all fun, collecting them from BG 1 to the end of the Throne of Bhaal.

veteran
veteran
Enough to know that there is no point in playing with toxic people where you spend more time arguing about what they shouldnt do ... than actual playing. wink

veteran
veteran
"Roll for stats" is a feature that Larian explicitly promised at some point. But as usual that was at the start of EA and they never followed on their word, so it's hard to tell to what extent they are sticking to the same plan.

My personal take is that in principle a point buy system is WAY more fair and balanced, but I'm not surprised there are a lot of fans of "rolling for stats" as WOTC has almost gone out of its way to make the point buy system feel a lot more unappealing in direct comparison: stats capped at 15 before applying racial bonuses and ASI and a stingy amount of points to distribute.
In the end, no matter how much people will pretend there's some other more nuanced reason behind their preference, the appeal of rolling for stats is obvious: if left free to reroll at will and unchecked by a DM, the player who "rolled totally fairly *wink wink*" will ALWAYS end with a far higher total in ability score.
It's ad advantage so obvious that while I'm not a fan of "rolling for stats" in principle, that's nonetheless what I'm going to use given the choice between the two options.

"Variant human" is just another recurring topic that they never even acknowledge in two years of EA, let alone explicitly addressed. Not much more to say except it's basically guaranteed to be a mod in case of absence in the vanilla game.

Last edited by Tuco; 12/03/23 03:36 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Honestly, I'd actually be shocked if they didn't include variant human just because it really wouldn't requite anything of them. It seems like it's pretty much the minimum amount of work they could put in the game while still actually doing something. Even rolling for stats seems like it would require a degree more of work.

Enough to know that there is no point in playing with toxic people where you spend more time arguing about what they shouldnt do ... than actual playing. wink

You'd think so, but it seems to me that anyone who's played ttrpgs long enough has some horror story about a player who ended up part of the group for too long and really spoiled the fun for people, so I don't think it's a given. Quite the opposite in fact.

addict
addict

+1

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
it seems to me that anyone who's played ttrpgs long enough has some horror story about a player who ended up part of the group for too long and really spoiled the fun for people, so I don't think it's a given.
I fail to follow ...
If everyone have some simmilar experience, how it can be "not given" ? o_O

Anyway ... w/e man, play with whoever you want ofcourse, that is none of my busines ofc. laugh

Im just saying that if i will play BG-3 in multiplayer, and will meet a group that will be unable to agree on HOW they wish to play ... i will rather keep searching. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard