Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
OP Offline
E
Ifan has been shafted! He's only one not celebrated by deluxe edition. Why don't we get little wolf summoning artefact?

Z
addict
addict
Z
Because I fan suc... And he's wolf summon ist the worst source skill in divinity 2 . Its all over the internet i think the devs know this too. Why they don't did anything aganst it i don't know.

veteran
veteran
Personally, I was not interested in any Larian game advertising being shoe-horned in - I'm not interested in seeing divinity junk crammed into the realms just to advertise their other products, as they're on record as wanting to use BG3 to do...

BUT, if I did want a memento from ANY D:OS2 character, it would be something for Ifan, as he is my favourite. So it really doesn't improve my opinion of their offer here to see that one character get no representation, while all the others do.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Well i could imagine something like this.
Summon a wolf that follows you as cosmetics.
And mybe gives like +1 to survive skill check. Something useless šŸ˜ like in divinity 2.
Or ifans wolfs pelt made to a cloak because he was useless^^ gives +1armor class when you don't were any armor.

Last edited by ZOZO1006; 24/02/23 09:58 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Crimsomrider mentioned Ifanā€™s crossbow in another thread as an alternative.

As a neutral party, given Iā€™ve only played act 1 of D:OS2 and that was some years ago, so donā€™t have a favourite character and actually canā€™t recall any of them very well, it does seem unfair one is missed out. Perhaps Ifan will get his item in the base game as at least one Easter Egg for D:OS2 fans who donā€™t buy a deluxe edition?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EstherEloise
Ifan has been shafted! He's only one not celebrated by deluxe edition. Why don't we get little wolf summoning artefact?

Speaking of shafts - how about Ifan's Codpiece instead?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Damn, they did NOT skimp on the pixels there.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 24/02/23 04:07 PM.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
I think the better question is why are we getting any DOS stuff at all? I own DOS 2 and enjoyed playing it but I have no interest in introducing Divinity content into BG3, it seems like cheap advertising or an admission that they really wish they had made DOS 3 after all.

E
addict
addict
E
Wow, I had no idea Larian were throwing in D:OS content into BG3. I'm quite shocked...why would WotC even allowed this, assuming they have some sort of final say?

For me, it's just another example of the endless love-in Larian have with themselves. I think some content related to the previous BG games would have been much more suitable, seeing as the name of the game is Baldurs Gate 3...apparently.

veteran
veteran
I don't think the D:OS2 items are anything more than fun easter eggs. Look at what's actually being introduced; a lute, a dagger, a cape, a bicorn hat and a mask. They're presumably going to look like the iconic items each character they're inspired from had, and will probably have a special ability that alludes to them, but it's not like they're plot points, nor are they stuff that will inherently break the reality of the game. Based on just how loot progression in crpgs works, it's not even as though you're likely to be using them for the whole of the game. If they're overpowered items then that's a different story, but this sort of stuff is exactly what I'd expect from an enhanced edition. I'm not a fan of D:OS2 but I find myself weirdly looking forward to how they're gonna skin the lore to allude to the sources, I peronally find that sort of thing fun. Because I am a weird nerd.

All that having been said, I do have misgivings about the mask specifically because it's likely to provide the spell Disguise Self to any character who wears it, and that ties into a minor gripe I have with the game as a whole; Larian just gives too many ways to experience content regardless of class. Like giving players an amulet that lets us speak with the dead for free, which is actually just straight up better than giving a character that spell since it doesn't cost a spell slot. Same with the abundance of invisibility potions and potions of speak with animals. It ends up taking away from replayability and making class choices matter less.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
All that having been said, I do have misgivings about the mask specifically because it's likely to provide the spell Disguise Self to any character who wears it, and that ties into a minor gripe I have with the game as a whole; Larian just gives too many ways to experience content regardless of class. Like giving players an amulet that lets us speak with the dead for free, which is actually just straight up better than giving a character that spell since it doesn't cost a spell slot. Same with the abundance of invisibility potions and potions of speak with animals. It ends up taking away from replayability and making class choices matter less.

+1

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I do have misgivings about the mask specifically because it's likely to provide the spell Disguise Self to any character who wears it, and that ties into a minor gripe I have with the game as a whole; Larian just gives too many ways to experience content regardless of class. Like giving players an amulet that lets us speak with the dead for free, which is actually just straight up better than giving a character that spell since it doesn't cost a spell slot. Same with the abundance of invisibility potions and potions of speak with animals. It ends up taking away from replayability and making class choices matter less.

Iā€™d agree with that concern, and add the amulet that lets us cast Guidance to the list of examples of items that can devalue having characters with specific classes. I have no objection to this existing, or the amulet of Speak with Dead, or indeed a mask that lets us cast Disguise Self (or Alter Self?), I just think the number of uses per day should be heavily restricted so that you still get a distinct feel and different options from having different classes and chosen spells.

Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed that what I see as the over-availability of stuff like this is just an Early Access thing to facilitate testing of content, and weā€™ll see changes in full release.

More generally, and I think Iā€™ve said it elsewhere already, having the digital deluxe DLC items we get being D:OS2 themed is not something that attracts me but itā€™s not something that bothers me either. I only care that they have fun, definitely D&D effects and arenā€™t overpowered for whenever we come across them. And ideally item descriptions should be written in such a way that theyā€™re not going to stick out as non-FR related for those who donā€™t already know, but as fun Easter Eggs for those who do. And while other companies doing the same isnā€™t a justification in itself, itā€™s not exactly unprecedented to have crossover items in games. I know, for example, there was a DA themed Blood Dragon armour in Mass Effect ā€¦ 2 &3?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
I think the better question is why are we getting any DOS stuff at all? I own DOS 2 and enjoyed playing it but I have no interest in introducing Divinity content into BG3, it seems like cheap advertising or an admission that they really wish they had made DOS 3 after all.
I do hope, those will be implemented as DLC/addon content, so I find myself not wanting something in the game.

veteran
veteran
I don't think the D:OS2 items are anything more than fun easter eggs.

Easter eggs are usually free content/references available for everyone.
Paid content is usually related to the game you are paying for.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/02/23 04:17 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Meh, items related to company's popular IP are a common thing. See Dragon Age armor in Mass Effect.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Meh, items related to company's popular IP are a common thing. See Dragon Age armor in Mass Effect.

Items related to company's popular IP as (the only) exclusive in game items included in deluxe edition ? I'm not sure it is at all.
Iirc it was free content in mass effect for dragon age's owner... and the exclusive in game content you had when you bought deluxe edition wasn't excluvively (I guess I could even say "at all") inspired by DAO.

In my opinion it would have been a lot better if DoS owners could have these items for free to reward their playerbase (or eventually as a 5$ DLC for DoS ultra fans) and if exclusive deluxe editions items were inspired by DnD, by Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, or by the Forgotten Realm
DoS inspired content has nothing to do in Baldur's Gate 3 deluxe edition in my opinion. To me it just show how stuck in DoS they are / how afraid they are to move forward despite the fact that BG3 succeed at gathering 3 different fanbase.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/02/23 05:30 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Or they concluded that core of their player base will have more interest in D:OS2 themed items, than something D&D/BG related. With Deluxe Edition content generally being skippable, I canā€™t say I care either way.

Last edited by Wormerine; 26/02/23 06:07 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I would be disappointed if there arenā€™t also some great BG1/2 and general Forgotten Realms lore-related items, but then Iā€™d expect those to be in the base game rather than something someone would need to buy a deluxe edition or join early access for.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I would be disappointed if there arenā€™t also some great BG1/2 and general Forgotten Realms lore-related items, but then Iā€™d expect those to be in the base game rather than something someone would need to buy a deluxe edition or join early access for.

This is my feeling exactly. If they reserved BG1/2 stuff for the deluxe edition, I'd find that to be kinda cheap and not great as a choice. That stuff should without question just be available in the base game as things you can find. Either as environmental storytelling alluding to the events of past games or as epic loot you get that's tied into the story. And as for wider D&D/Forgotten Realms stuff? I think that as a setting, there isn't as much iconic stuff that the wider audience will just immediately feel grabbed by. Stuff that's outside of the original BG games that is. The Forgotten Realms just doesn't seem like a setting that gets a lot of love and D:OS2 has the benefit of having been a relatively recent, very popular game. The fun of these sorts of easter egg items is that they're iconic, the audience is probably going to know where they're from. If most of the audience is just gonna go 'huh?' then that spoils the point, and I just don't think there's any forgotten realms stuff outside of the Baldur's Gate games that's going to be as well-known as D:OS2. Which in my mind is a failure on WotC's part.

As an aside, I recently got into Pathfinder 2e thanks to a humble bundle they've got going and that book did such a better job getting me invested in the setting than the 5e Player's Handbook. And there's so many books just about LORE, and 2e has only been out for a couple years. That's a big part of what hooked me in, the world lore that D&D 5e really seems to lack.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I mean... I'd still be disappointed if we got those items without any decent item description or flavor text.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
It ends up taking away from replayability and making class choices matter less.
Maybe someone in Larian just understands that there is many people who often dont even finish game once, bcs its "too long" for them ... like, have you ever seen how many people finished Witcher III.?
Google says about 27% of people who buyed it on Steam. :-/
Then it kinda makes sense to provide such people as many things to do as possible ... since the word "replay" is not in their vocabulary anyway. laugh

And for the rest of us ... well, i know people on this forum dont like my mindset in such matters, but nothing forces us to use any of it. :-/

I mean, i only talked with animals with my Druid or Gnome ...
And no amount of potions ever change it. laugh

It is good to know what you want to roleplay and do it ... i only wish more people could experience that. frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard