Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Originally Posted by Limz
You can shred almost everyone's magic armor in one fucking turn at level 8+ unless the AP required to move them into position exceeds your allowance.

How many mages do you need for this? And do you mean shred the magic armor of ALL targets in one turn or just one target? You're going to need to be more specific about your example.

At the very least, if I am doing something wrong, it would be helpful to know.

It's not 'how many mages' it's more like 'how much AP do I need to spend, and what resistances am I facing', because depending on your build that may mean one mage or two magi. So I am going in with a few assumptions here; the first assumption is that resistance isn't 30+ ~ immune, the second assumption is that you have decent gear. Third assumption is that you're running elemental affinity to pay the AP tax on your abilities and you have the Pawn. Fourth is that you're being as lazy as possible which means minimal set up. Fifth, it's a close combat playstyle with zero fucks for taking damage.

The BnB for pyro is the following: Dive -> The Pawn (run into the fire) -> Nova -> Ray. Total AP: 5

That alone will pretty much be overkill for a lot of targets, the heavier ones would require you to use more spells like searing daggers, fire whip (super inefficient), fireball to finish the job, and for each one it's AP. A CC spell costs 2 AP.

So, if it's one mage doing it then it has to be a glass cannon/lone wolf build using adrenaline (+2) and possibly flesh sacrifice (+1).

If you're including Source abilities at Max 1 Point, then Time Warp with Fane to buy you more AP to CC a target or position bonus targets.

So, against certain bruisers and other casters, you're looking at BnB + 1 to 2 more AP worth of fire spells and then 2 to throw off any CC.

If we're playing a glass-cannon Fane with 1 Max Source Point the break down looks something like this:

Time Warp (4 AP left) -> Flesh Sacrifice (5 AP left) -> Dive (4 AP Left) -> The Pawn (Into Flames) -> Teleport target (2AP left - scroll or use netherswap) -> Teleport target (0 AP left)

Bonus turn -> Nova (4 AP) -> Adrenaline (6 AP ) -> Reposition with the Pawn (into Flames) -> Ray ( 4AP ) -> Fireball ( 3 AP ) -> Searing Daggers or Ignite (2 AP) -> Medusa's Head ( 0 AP )

If you're going to say "Well, what about having 4AP?" and you want to restrict it to one mage then Rain + Chainlightning. No source? Then you may have to pre-cast a CC spell such as Medusa and then rather than casting Medusa, you'll be using the last 2 AP to nuke and then Medusa Head's petrification aura will CC.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I play together with a buddy. lone wolf team. And my Air mage got to the point where I 1 shot most things that are non bosses or something with high magic armor.

The 3 point source ability is rediculus on wet enemies with high crit chance.

I stopped using it since it made the game boring. If you focus on 1 element mages do massive damage. escpecially when you also keep an eye out for gear with that spell school on it.

-Learning the divinity engine and creating my own adventure!
veteran
veteran
Ah I see. I do have the Pawn on one my mages, but not the other, and I don't have Elemental Affinity on either, but my Air/Water mage does have a Talent point unspent. I hadn't really considered Elemental Affinity, but I guess I should have since it's a lot more useful in DOS 2 than DOS 1 since you have fewer AP and magic armor.

I've also been using my mages as long-range, high-ground casters, not close-range ones, but that's because I'm running a 2/2 party.

I also do not have Fane/Time Warp available.

I'll use some of these tips for my planned all-mage party.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
It's just the inflated prices of spells; if you look at physical abilities and then compare the AP cost/damage to spells you'll see that spells generally are 1AP more in relation to AP Cost : Damage ratios, but if you factor in Elemental Affinity it balances out - Fireball + Searing Daggers ~= 2AP physical ability in damage.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard