Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It's almost assuredly too late for this to happen in DOS 2, but not in a DOS 3 or other future Larian game with crafting.

Each town should have one vendor who sells about 30 completely random crafting ingredients, and nothing else. Unlike other vendors, whose inventory stays the same until someone levels up, or else an hour passes, the crafting ingredients vendor's stock refreshes every time you trade with them, no waiting required.

These might have the maximum quality item limited by player level, BUT there is no minimum quality level, even in the end-game, low-level versions of ingredients can still be found at the vendor.

Why? Many of the crafting recipes depend on items which are exceptionally rare or hard to come by for no reason.

For example, the "Peace of Mind" scrolls require Crab Claws as an ingredient. There are a total of two (2) crabs in the entire game, and you cannot obtain claws anywhere else.

After a certain point, basic Elemental Essences stop spawning and only High Quality and later Alien Elemental Essences start spawning, also meaning you can't make the items requiring the low-quality item.

The rapid refreshing of the vendor can make the vendor act like a gold sink for players, and make crafting more useful.

old hand
old hand
Adding an entire merchant might take some work, but just tweaking the inventory of merchants who sell crafting items should be easy enough, I imagine. We simply need to add more stuff to their list of possible items.

I remember when I was in Arx and needed to craft some big potions, IIRC. I needed to start from the minor potion, and it required Augmentor. But by that point in the game there was no basic Augmentor to be found anymore, and no one sold them. I could have as many best quality Augmentors as I liked, yet they couldn't replace the basic ones. The irony.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I really feel like it has to be a special merchant, not just added to an existing merchant's inventory, because a key thing is that it refreshes faster than an existing merchant. That's important because otherwise the supply of crafting stuff will be too small. If you need to wait an hour each time you want to look for a specific crafting ingredient, it'll be tedious.

And yes, you highlighted one of the reasons why I want lower level items available.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Not a bad idea, though I'd probably make the vendor offer more things at once, instead of forcing the player constantly refresh his wares, when searching that one specific thing.
When we're at it, I'd probably even add some sort of library to cities, like in D:OS1, but with a vendor inside who would sell random books, including crafting manuals (or maybe those could be sold by the crafting material vendor), and he'd refresh his stuff just like a normal vendor.

Anyway, I thought you could use higher level essences to craft stuff that required lower level ones.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard