apprentice
apprentice
I
Re-upping

R
stranger
stranger
R
There are discussions about it on reddit as well, a few, with people submitting feedback - but still no answer for such an easy to fix issue.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Does anyone know if nacon controllers are a solution? Will they allow customization at the controller level?

https://www.nacongaming.com/en-GB/revolution-5-pro

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Has this been addressed with patch 3?

N
stranger
stranger
N
It has not, I installed the patch and still no sign of an option to invert camera.

N
stranger
stranger
N
It could very well be, a quick google search of previous iterations show the Nacon controllers can invert axis controls for the joystick. Not 100% though...but seriously, do people really need to spend $200 on a controller to do what a game should already let you do.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Oh yeah absolutely. It is in fact quite embarrassing for Larian, tbh

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
They haven't cared in the past, why would they now

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
They can at least let the PS5 camera inversion setting to apply in game. The frustration also falls on PlayStation. Why can't the accessibility setting override/apply to all games

veteran
veteran
I know this will not provide much solace for our PS5 players, however, if you have BG3 on Steam and are using a controller...

You must first enter "Big Picture" mode

"go to the game in your Steam library, click the Manage gear icon, select Manage again, Controller Layout, and you'll see listed under Quick Settings "Invert Right Joystick Y Axis"

This will allow you to invert Pitch (Y axis)

"Note that that method only shows "invert Y-axis" in the quick menu; if you want to invert the x-axis, you'll have to dig way in:

Edit Layout
Joysticks
Right Joystick Behavior Settings Icon
Invert Horizontal/Vertical Axis options"

That will allow you to invert Yaw (X axis)

If these options did not exist on Steam I would not be able to play the game using a controller. This is because, even though pitch = zoom in Larian's default layout, the actual pitch itself is changing depending on the zoom distance, so when playing (because of the verticality in the area design) we must frequently aim our cursor above/below the sight line to successfully target. These are the instances where your inverts will start to feel really taxed by the controls. For myself playing for too long without inversion will make me feel dizzy, like as if I am a passenger in a car on a winding road, in need of Dramamine to keep from hurling.

I considered purchasing this game on PS5. For me this would have been a more budget friendly option, but I was concerned since there wasn't much info. For some reason only Stadia users were given a preview of what the controller schemes might end up looking like. I was willing to buy BG3 on spec for the EA, owing mainly to my deep love of the franchise, but was not willing to repurchase it on console without first seeing what that would look like.

What PS5 invert players will need is exactly what Steam provides there (although it's kind of annoying, because of the whole Big Picture mode thing, which may not be intuitive) at least it exists.

When filing your support ticket, make sure to include the word "Accessibility" somewhere, so they understand that it really is a hand eye motor coordination thing.

This needs to come under the same general umbrella as stuff like closed captioning for the hearing impaired, or font scaling/color-blindness for the visually impaired etc. It's the same sort of thing.

Some people may have grown up playing flight sims or Goldeneye, but that doesn't explain it. There are a lot of issues going into this and it's not clear why some of us are the way we are. For others they might suffer from injuries requiring them to approach controls in novel ways that may be unfamiliar to the standard user. All these things help users who might not otherwise be able to experience the game (or experience it enjoyably) to do so. It's an easy potential win and very low hanging fruit I think. I hope they will consider it in light of the many new users for whom BG3 may be their first introduction both to Larian and D&D, BG, or possibly to cRPGs writ large.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 24/09/23 06:38 AM.
addict
addict
More OPTION SETTINGS in a Larian game? Are you mad?!

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
R
stranger
stranger
R
Well, one would think Larian wants to take a step up now when BG3 had such a success…

Tbh, I may buy the game on steam later to play through GFN, but for now my excitement about the game pretty much died out. Sure, I know it is a great game, but I have a long list pf great titles to play (more coming, this year has been crazy) from deva that actually care about accessibility and respect their player base (even the minority of them).

This issue and silence about it has been such a mood killer.

(If you want to comment that it is not such a big issue and worth re-learning, I suggest you to try writing with your non-dominant hand and then report back)

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
I wonder if I connect the 8bitdo ultimate controller to PS5 and use custom button mapping profile from 8bitdo software on PC to invert the right stick it will work. Same concept as Nacon controllers I guess but cheaper.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
I know this will not provide much solace for our PS5 players, however, if you have BG3 on Steam and are using a controller...

You must first enter "Big Picture" mode

"go to the game in your Steam library, click the Manage gear icon, select Manage again, Controller Layout, and you'll see listed under Quick Settings "Invert Right Joystick Y Axis"

This will allow you to invert Pitch (Y axis)

"Note that that method only shows "invert Y-axis" in the quick menu; if you want to invert the x-axis, you'll have to dig way in:

Edit Layout
Joysticks
Right Joystick Behavior Settings Icon
Invert Horizontal/Vertical Axis options"

That will allow you to invert Yaw (X axis)

If these options did not exist on Steam I would not be able to play the game using a controller. This is because, even though pitch = zoom in Larian's default layout, the actual pitch itself is changing depending on the zoom distance, so when playing (because of the verticality in the area design) we must frequently aim our cursor above/below the sight line to successfully target. These are the instances where your inverts will start to feel really taxed by the controls. For myself playing for too long without inversion will make me feel dizzy, like as if I am a passenger in a car on a winding road, in need of Dramamine to keep from hurling.

I considered purchasing this game on PS5. For me this would have been a more budget friendly option, but I was concerned since there wasn't much info. For some reason only Stadia users were given a preview of what the controller schemes might end up looking like. I was willing to buy BG3 on spec for the EA, owing mainly to my deep love of the franchise, but was not willing to repurchase it on console without first seeing what that would look like.

What PS5 invert players will need is exactly what Steam provides there (although it's kind of annoying, because of the whole Big Picture mode thing, which may not be intuitive) at least it exists.

When filing your support ticket, make sure to include the word "Accessibility" somewhere, so they understand that it really is a hand eye motor coordination thing.

This needs to come under the same general umbrella as stuff like closed captioning for the hearing impaired, or font scaling/color-blindness for the visually impaired etc. It's the same sort of thing.

Some people may have grown up playing flight sims or Goldeneye, but that doesn't explain it. There are a lot of issues going into this and it's not clear why some of us are the way we are. For others they might suffer from injuries requiring them to approach controls in novel ways that may be unfamiliar to the standard user. All these things help users who might not otherwise be able to experience the game (or experience it enjoyably) to do so. It's an easy potential win and very low hanging fruit I think. I hope they will consider it in light of the many new users for whom BG3 may be their first introduction both to Larian and D&D, BG, or possibly to cRPGs writ large.

Thanks for this, this is very helpful. Unfortunately, I don't even have a computer for gaming anymore, so my only option would be to play it on Steam via GeForce Now. And if it's possible to invert axes in this context, I have no idea. Of course I could just play with mouse in this case, but I don't even have a monitor and would have to play with mouse on my TV, which I have no intentions of doing.

It's just such a shame. Button remapping is probably also not possible in BG3. Larian just forces you to use whatever they think is good and then stop caring.

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Upping this thread

S
stranger
stranger
S
It's hard to overstate how disappointed I was to discover that Larian didn't include the most basic imaginable accessibility setting. Having to play with a non-inverted axis is like being forced to write left-handed. I simply can't do it. It never would have occurred to me to research this before buying the game, because EVERY GAME has this option.

I basically just lit $70 on fire. Thanks, Larian.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Seems like they added a colorblind mode to the accessibility options (which I like) but still no way to invert axes.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I am playing PS5 trial and the camera is inverted!!! PS5 settings applied!

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Wow, can anyone else confirm?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard