Originally Posted by Buttercheese
I mostly agree, but I have to say that it is a bit unfair to compare games with linear narratives without any player choice to games like Baldur's Gate. If you have to factor in roleplaying, it makes the writing much more difficult, because the player becomes an active part of the narrative, instead of just a passive observer (like in Uncharted or Runaway).

You´ve got a point here bow

Ok, so let´s go with Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass effect, PsT, Fire Emblem, Persona, Tales of Cold Steel or Fallout4 (Do not tell me they do not have at least a minimum of RP each) vs Skyrim or Fable treatment of the Romance features.

Games like Kotor, Kotor 2 or NWN 2 or the former have only one romantic "balcony" pre-climax scene, but you can relate a little to it because you traveled, talked, learned to know, suffered, battled.. you were sharing food and laughs and hardships and booze with the "person" you have the balcony scene for days, for hours of gameplay.
He/She is not a random good-looking NPC you put a necklace on and take to your house to "calve" your children or some hot NPC you know for five minutes and it is a good chance to show some naked skin scene, Like in Gothic.

Just a little more of the first ones, Larian. Please.

Edit:
Originally Posted by cyseal
I would want to see romance in which companion betrays you.
Let's say you start romance with character and then at some point you're asked to do a "quest". As it turns out that "quest" is an ambush where your romantic character has proved his/her treachery.
With deception he/she just wanted to kill you and works for some evil party who wants to get rid of you.

So, romances could be very interesting and thrilling quests.

Cof, cof NWN2 ... cof cof

Last edited by _Vic_; 05/07/19 04:00 PM.