Originally Posted by Ellderon
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
What he ACTUALLY said:
Also, I don’t believe that sticking to the old system can expand to a greater audience..

Ahh yes...the mythical greater audience.
Mistake No1 that is the root of most bad development decisions.

The idea that RTwP is too "messy" or "confusing" is hillarious, when people regularly have to deal with far more messy and confusing things in RL.
Basically, they want a simple system to "expand the audience".

I guess that´s the main reason Larian Studios is making "Baldurs Gate 3" and not "Dungeons&Dragons: New Adventures in Baldur´s Gate Vol.1"
It was a strategic sales decision just to bring the D:OS identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise because Swen think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people (greater audience) than Divinity will have done. Like he mentioned in this interview at 3:30:

"so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also."

Of course Wizards of the Coast also had his hands in there to push their new campaign "Baldur's Gate: Descent in Avernus" which just happened to coincide with the announcement of Baldur´s Gate III.

As David Walgrave mentioned in this interview:
"I don’t know how we keep old-school fans happy [laughs]. They’re hard to please. We noticed a lot of our player-base is people in their teens and 20s"

Larian Studios primarily wants to make their player base happy (save sales) and don´t care much about the old, hard to please, old-school fans but hope that a few them will also buy their game because of the name. Togehter you have a greater audience.

At least you can print on every following game cover: From the Creators of Baldur´s Gate III and reach (maybe) a greater audience.

[Linked Image]

*Edit* In principle, of course, there is nothing objectionable about it. Every company wants to make a profit and appeal to the largest possible audience. But you should be aware that you have deliberately chosen a Baldur's Gate 3 and this - according to Statement Larian Studios itself - strongly linked to its predecessors. Most of the young players *the new audience* were not even born when Baldur's Gate appeared and the title is more likely to appeal to older generations. The young players or Divinity players are not interested in the title anyway.

Last edited by Wiborg Sturmfels; 08/03/20 10:41 PM.