Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Welcome to a more clunky, less useful, turn-based system called real time w/ pause. May as well just be turn-based..Oh, it IS!

Really? I mean...
Oh, you are right, according to the manual of Baldur's Gate:
[Linked Image]

Cool, now that we finally clarified, that, when it comes to combat, Baldur's Gate always was a 6-seconds-turn-based-game,
while following the current D&D rules, and it will be again, now we can all look forward to the next adventure.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Well, the game will be released on Stadia, so I do not think it´s exactly PC market per se.

Does anyone know how many people have bought into Google Stadia? Can't find any data.

Originally Posted by dlux
Originally Posted by davidivadavid
What if making Diablo 4 turn based makes it better?

Such a scenario is so implausible and absurd that it made me chuckle.

The turn-based-only "I ❤️ slow combat" crew would obviously love that, but Diablo would fans would hate it and revolt. Rightly so too.

Not to mention that a turn-based game could never sell over 30 million copies like Diablo 3 did. A turn-based has not and never will come even close to such figures.

Bonus trivia: Diablo was originally a turn-based RPG, but the developers adopted a realtime combat system rather late in development. horsey

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Pokémon

Pokémon is turn-based and sold over 30 million. Just saying, a game can definitely be turn-based and sell well. I would argue instead that games such as Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, POE, DOS, etc. are more niche in general.

Eguzky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LaserOstrich
Welcome to a more clunky, less useful, turn-based system called real time w/ pause. May as well just be turn-based..Oh, it IS!

Really? I mean...
Oh, you are right, according to the manual of Baldur's Gate:
[Linked Image]

Cool, now that we finally clarified, that, when it comes to combat, Baldur's Gate always was a 6-seconds-turn-based-game,
while following the current D&D rules, and it will be again, now we can all look forward to the next adventure.

Oh, it was always meant to be turn-based? Cool! So BG3 is actually a more pure form of what BG was always meant to be! Good to know!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Glad to know it's being made for purists.

veteran
veteran
Not really, if you read now the D&D5 rules smile

"typical combat encounter is a clash between two sides, a flurry of weapon swings, feints, parries, footwork, and spellcasting. The game organizes the chaos of combat into a cycle of rounds and turns. A round represents about 6 seconds in the game world. During a round, each participant in a battle takes a turn."

Maybe D&D5 is based on the mecanics of Baldur's Gate ? biggrin

Last edited by Maximuuus; 08/03/20 03:57 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Eguzky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

"typical combat encounter is a clash between two sides, a flurry of weapon swings, feints, parries, footwork, and spellcasting. The game organizes the chaos of combat into a cycle of rounds and turns. A round represents about 6 seconds in the game world. During a round, each participant in a battle takes a turn."

Sigh.

D&D is turn based because the players could not all react fast enough to be in real time; they'd be shouting over eachother.

So D&D is a turn-based system meant to mimic real-time combat.

BG3 is using a..say it with me, children 'turn-based system meant to mimic real-time combat'.

It's easier to use for many people, and more popular than the RTwP rage-machines would want anyone to believe.

And D&D was created in 1974. Any, and indeed MOST, RPGs take something from it. From 'stats' to dice rolls.

Last edited by Eguzky; 08/03/20 03:59 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
[Oh, it was always meant to be turn-based? Cool! So BG3 is actually a more pure form of what BG was always meant to be! Good to know!

Yeah, indeed, and maybe... BG3 could actually be... good? oO

stranger
stranger
I would like BG3 to inherit from BG1&2 but also evolve those elements.

Eguzky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
[Oh, it was always meant to be turn-based? Cool! So BG3 is actually a more pure form of what BG was always meant to be! Good to know!

I get the feeling you think I'm against BG3. I'm for BG3. I love D&D, and I love most every D&D computer game. I just don't really ken on RTwP.

journeyman
journeyman

I get the feeling you think I'm against BG3. I'm for BG3. I love D&D, and I love most every D&D computer game. I just don't really ken on RTwP.

No, I was ironic with that post, I'm looking forward to BG3 too, and I'm a bit sad for the atmosphere that people create around it, not even giving it a chance sometimes.

Last edited by LaserOstrich; 08/03/20 04:07 PM.
veteran
veteran

Sigh.

D&D is turn based because the players could not all react fast enough to be in real time; they'd be shouting over eachother.

BG3 is using a..say it with me, children 'turn-based system meant to mimic real-time combat'.

It's easier to use for many people, and more popular than the RTwP rage-machines would want anyone to believe.

And D&D was created in 1974. Any, and indeed MOST, RPGs take something from it. From 'stats' to dice rolls.

So finally, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 looks more like the philosophy / the feelings you should have playing D&D (according to the rules) but you obviously can't have arround a table cry

Last edited by Maximuuus; 08/03/20 04:10 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Eguzky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

Sigh.

So finally, Baldur's Gate looks more like the philosophy / the feelings you should have playing D&D (according to the rules) but you obviously can't have arround a table cry

And the reason D&D was turn-based was convenience. Which is what is going on with BG3; it's more accessable to a wider group and more in-line with how D&D plays.

enthusiast
enthusiast
And for all we know that "wider group" may not even have the hardware required to play BG3 or Google Stadia or own a PC for that matter.

veteran
veteran
Philosophy of D&D VS the way D&D is played for convenience smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert

J'aime le fromage.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard