Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by zanos
https://5thsrd.org/rules/multiclassing/

You can multiclass in 5E (assuming Larian stays consistent with 5E on this point). There are stat requirements to multiclass into specific classes, but you can multiclass. Feats are selected in place of ability points at certain level thresholds.

Feats: https://www.aidedd.org/dnd-filters/feats.php

There are fewer feats than 3E, as 5E is all about 'streamlining', but they are there and some of them are quite good.

Namely, "Ritual Magic" is perhaps the most awesome one.

Yeah Ritual Caster is my favourite feat too, usually the first feat to get.

Go Wizard unless you are a Wizard or therd os a specific character idea in mind.Find Familiar by itself has been said to be a Class Feature in spell fork..making it worth it by itself and I'd say the same about Unseen Servant, Phantom Steed, and Tiny Hut! From Clerics Commune, Ceremony, and Walk on Water is awesome (bonus points for blending it water based cantrips), and the Druids Speak with Beasts abd Commune with Nature.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

You can multiclass in 5E (assuming Larian stays consistent with 5E on this point). There are stat requirements to multiclass into specific classes, but you can multiclass. Feats are selected in place of ability points at certain level thresholds.

There are fewer feats than 3E, as 5E is all about 'streamlining', but they are there and some of them are quite good.

Go Wizard unless you are a Wizard or therd os a specific character idea in mind.Find Familiar by itself has been said to be a Class Feature in spell fork..making it worth it by itself and I'd say the same about Unseen Servant, Phantom Steed, and Tiny Hut! From Clerics Commune, Ceremony, and Walk on Water is awesome (bonus points for blending it water based cantrips), and the Druids Speak with Beasts abd Commune with Nature.

The ritual caster feat also works great for a warlock but it is called the pact of the tome which you need to get the book of ancient secrets which lets you pick ritual spells that you would not normally get as a warlock like druid ritual spells

Last edited by TheInfinitySock; 07/03/20 09:32 PM.

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
addict
addict
Last interview I saw said they weren't ready to discuss multiclassing, which seems odd, its a simply yes or no question. Perhaps they plan on tackling the issues when all the classes are in?

Usually devs do not talk about things they haven't started to work on, because unforeseen issues can happen and then you can't make said things (see COVID19 closing down cities in Asia).

Larian talked about what was going to be in the early access and how things worked in the demo they presented.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by azarhal
Last interview I saw said they weren't ready to discuss multiclassing, which seems odd, its a simply yes or no question. Perhaps they plan on tackling the issues when all the classes are in?

Usually devs do not talk about things they haven't started to work on, because unforeseen issues can happen and then you can't make said things (see COVID19 closing down cities in Asia).

Larian talked about what was going to be in the early access and how things worked in the demo they presented.

Agreed it is never a good idea to say it will be in game when you have not even started working on multiclassing having said that I do think we will get multiclass in BG3

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
T
T
How do you create a progression system that you look forward to withtout feats? I dont play 5.0e and have very limited knowledge of the system but I wasnt aware that feats were "optional". What did they replace it with? Thats really gonna suck if there arent feats in the game.

K
Kolpo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Torque
How do you create a progression system that you look forward to withtout feats? I dont play 5.0e and have very limited knowledge of the system but I wasnt aware that feats were "optional". What did they replace it with? Thats really gonna suck if there arent feats in the game.

Players gain +2 to an attribute at certain levels(depends on class), if the DM allows feats can they replace this +2 attribute bonus with a feat. Some feats also give +1 to a certain attribute, you only "pay" 1 stat increase for those feats(unless you really don't want that attribute). Remember that pre epic you can't increase attributes above 20 and it is common to start with 16+ in your prime attribute.

Last edited by Kolpo; 08/03/20 09:51 AM.
veteran
veteran

And, war caster, lucky or polearm master and sentinel for warrior types. There are some amazing feats.

I agree it´s a little wierd that you need a feat to charge or to unsheath two weapons at once, but that´s the way it is...

Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock
My question about a feat is does ritual casting have a limit on how many spells you can cast or is it like the wizard class were you can lean as many spells as you want so long as there are ritual spells I am planning on picking the ritual casting if it is in BG3

If they apply the ritual casting feat in the game and if it is made as in PNP the ritual feat gives you a ritual book that you can only use to cast ritual spells, and you do not need to prepare them. you can learn spells if you found them, but only half your caster level max and they use the same attribute to cast it as the caster class you take the spell from (int for mages, cha for bards, wis for clerics and druids, etc)

"If you come across a spell in written form, such as a
magical spell scroll or a w izard’s spellbook, you might
be able to add it to your ritual book. The spell must be
on the spell list for the class you chose, the spell’s level
can be no higher than half your level (rounded up), and
it must have the ritual tag. The process o f copying the
spell into your ritual book takes 2 hours per level o f the
spell, and costs 50 gp per level. The cost represents
material components you expend as you experiment
with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you
need to record it"

And as any ritual you can cast it as many times as you want, but the casting time is plus 10 minutes because you can only cast them as a ritual spell.

I do not know if they are going to implement ritual casting or how, but I hope they made the effort. Maybe you can cast rituals in the camp?

Last edited by _Vic_; 08/03/20 01:15 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kolpo

Players gain +2 to an attribute at certain levels(depends on class), if the DM allows feats can they replace this +2 attribute bonus with a feat. Some feats also give +1 to a certain attribute, you only "pay" 1 stat increase for those feats(unless you really don't want that attribute). Remember that pre epic you can't increase attributes above 20 and it is common to start with 16+ in your prime attribute.

I mean, I've heard of stories where the DM doesn't allow feats but that kinda seems... lame? I mean, if you're only playing an early level campaign I guess it could work out but the 7 APIs the fighter gets must be used for something and simply dumping them into charisma or some such seems really bad.

Originally Posted by _Vic_

If they apply the ritual casting feat in the game and if it is made as in PNP the ritual feat gives you a ritual book that you can only use to cast ritual spells, and you do not need to prepare them. you can learn spells if you found them, but only half your caster level max and they use the same attribute to cast it as the caster class you take the spell from (int for mages, cha for bards, wis for clerics and druids, etc)

I would just like to say that it's not half of your caster level - you can have ritual casting even if you're a non-caster. A level 5 fighter with the ritual casting feat can cast any ritual spell of 3rd level or lower (that he has in his ritual book ofc).

Last edited by Ugmaro; 08/03/20 07:01 PM. Reason: changed warrior into fighter - this is D&D after all :P
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ugmaro

I mean, I've heard of stories where the DM doesn't allow feats but that kinda seems... lame? I mean, if you're only playing an early level campaign I guess it could work out but the 7 APIs the fighter gets must be used for something and simply dumping them into charisma or some such seems really bad.

Yeah, some DMs that do not allow feats because of the high cheesy factor of feats like lucky or sentinel+polearm and, of course, variant human. IMHO there are few customization options in D&D5e, I do not really see the point but to each their own.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, if there's no Variant Human, there's no reason to pick human, those extra +1s have no real game-play effect. The other races get cool abilities, the standard human doesn't.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ugmaro

Originally Posted by _Vic_

I would just like to say that it's not half of your caster level - you can have ritual casting even if you're a non-caster. A level 5 fighter with the ritual casting feat can cast any ritual spell of 3rd level or lower (that he has in his ritual book ofc).

Any ritual from a particular class spell list, not just any class. Only the Tomelock can cast rituals from any class list.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by AnonySimon
If I had to choose between multiclassing and feats. I would choose feats EVERY time. They allow me as a player to build most character concepts when paired with subclasses. But I would say that certain character concepts are VERY difficult to pull off without multiclassing (even with the existance of subclasses). So I would still like to see multiclassing available in BG3. Also, multiclassing would allow for even greater customization of Origin characters.

I second that...My favorite classes are best pure anyway.

The standard 5e feats would be awesome sauce, Gotta love Pole-arm master, elven accuracy, observant, luck, ect.

Last edited by vometia; 09/03/20 04:42 PM. Reason: formatting
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock

The ritual caster feat also works great for a warlock but it is called the pact of the tome which you need to get the book of ancient secrets which lets you pick ritual spells that you would not normally get as a warlock like druid ritual spells

Of course Larian is gonna omit both of them LOL

enthusiast
enthusiast
Does anyone know if Feats are a thing in BG3?

Evil always finds a way.
veteran
veteran
Yep, feats and multiclassing confirmed in reddit AMA

stranger
stranger
I certainly hope they include the feats not only from core book, but also from UA releases... including racial feats and the rest

addict
addict
Originally Posted by MarioCM
I certainly hope they include the feats not only from core book, but also from UA releases... including racial feats and the rest

Same here. For my build to be complete it would need Elven Accuracy feat from Xanathar's.
I don't see any reason for them not to implement things outside of PHB.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by MarioCM

Same here. For my build to be complete it would need Elven Accuracy feat from Xanathar's.
I don't see any reason for them not to implement things outside of PHB.

XGTE addressed a lot of feedback from the community. I would much rather see feats and races from other sources than a few more levels if Larian cannot give us both.

apprentice
apprentice
In DOS 2 I played Sebille as a Rogue until I understood that the game was really a magic contest, with archery too.
So, I improved her spellcasting skills until she was more versatile and relied less on rogue abilities.

Overall I enjoyed DOS 2's system of level progression and magic use....combining skill effects..but of course D&D rules are different.
It will also be nice to have weapons and melee warriors being important...not only Wizards.

With the Tiefling option on BG3... I may try the "Hellboy" protagonist alongside some origin companions...who knows.
that character deserves a D&D adaptation ...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard