Originally Posted by Ugmaro
Originally Posted by Kolpo
Originally Posted by Torque
How do you create a progression system that you look forward to withtout feats? I dont play 5.0e and have very limited knowledge of the system but I wasnt aware that feats were "optional". What did they replace it with? Thats really gonna suck if there arent feats in the game.

Players gain +2 to an attribute at certain levels(depends on class), if the DM allows feats can they replace this +2 attribute bonus with a feat. Some feats also give +1 to a certain attribute, you only "pay" 1 stat increase for those feats(unless you really don't want that attribute). Remember that pre epic you can't increase attributes above 20 and it is common to start with 16+ in your prime attribute.

I mean, I've heard of stories where the DM doesn't allow feats but that kinda seems... lame? I mean, if you're only playing an early level campaign I guess it could work out but the 7 APIs the fighter gets must be used for something and simply dumping them into charisma or some such seems really bad.

Yeah, some DMs that do not allow feats because of the high cheesy factor of feats like lucky or sentinel+polearm and, of course, variant human. IMHO there are few customization options in D&D5e, I do not really see the point but to each their own.