Originally Posted by Minsc1122
Originally Posted by Raze
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Nearly each topics gave exemple on what it was in BG.

Which in many cases there was disagreement about. That's why I referenced the grimdark debate. There was also discussion of whether the games were often silly and lighthearted or serious with occasional subtle humour, etc.

I think the main issue was, that people did not feel, that the game has enough similarities with the Baldur s Gate series.
Of course a lot of things will change, but based on the demo people are not, that convinced about that.
After this people, became overly demanding, like me for similarities.... xD xD

If they would have seen a bit some more smaller or some bigger resemblance to the original game, this would not be such a hot topic.
Not necessary for gameplay reasons, but for the reason to show the community, that the original BG
was just as big influence on the game as DAO.

Subjective stuffs was not on the demo like:
1) UI, spell/ability icons, inventory screen, or just bit less flashy/bass heavy divinity ability animations.
UI for artstyle, not necessary for size of UI.
2) BG and/or dnd items.
3) Travel between maps, or an art of concept of the world map.
4) Similar BG style music at menu screen.
5) Combat system totally different, which influence a lot of gameplay mechanism.
Related to animations for spells ect...
6) A huge skull symbol in front of the dungeon, which could have been connected to BG2 lore.
An abandoned temple/cript of bhaal, or
if the game would have started near to city like candelkeep, Athkatla, or some iconic area.
To remind people which game they play.
7) Meeting our main charismatic Villain in the beggining, like Saverok, Jon Irenicus.
8) Way of narrative, chapter introductions, were amazing, in BG, and it ages very-very well despite of its simplicity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBrn1PxPaQ0 - Chapter 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yWLf2lE1Os - Chapter 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVMSUEvA68 - Chapter 6

I am not saying everything should be the same, I am saying, that if there would be more similarities to BG1&2,
this DOS2/3 vs BG3 debate would be less intense.

Of course the game looked amazing, interactions with companions were amazing and it will change a lot till release.

Whether or not Larian should have been more vocal about how pre-alpha this was and how much assets would change going forward is up for debate. I think they were a little naive in the presentation, but one thing I don’t want is to have the juicy details spoiled to me before the game is released grin

I know what you mean, but other than the threat of the Mindflayers, who are still nameless and plotless at this point, I don’t personally want anything beyond visual, changes going into Early Access etc... of course as we get closer to release details will be marketed, YouTube videos etc etc... but we don’t even really have all the details about Doom Eternal and that game is only just over a week away from release and that’s how it should be.