Originally Posted by Xary
Originally Posted by Adgaroth
Originally Posted by Xary
Since Intellect Devourer are GS 2 and in the fight there are 3 or 4 of them while 2 PC, someone know if they are nerfed? They should be Resistent to non magical damage, but the boot seems to damege them normally.
Also they have two attack per round: Claw and Intellect Devour, the second never used in the presentation

This and the Mage hand: there are actual D&D Rule in this D&D game?

They're nerfed,I thought the same when I first saw it. I guess a lot of monster will be tweaked to fit the narrative (?) but they coul call them,weakened or something.

Mage hand is also tweaked to use the new mechanics such as shove.

''there are actual D&D Rule in this D&D game?'' it is based on 5e but there's a few changes for some mechanics such as having advantage just for elevation. They have said all of this is a ''test'' and can change based on feedback.

5ed D&D isn't rule heavy as 3.5 (with rule for almost everything and many, many number) or as AD&D2ed (with different THAC0, different progression for the Saves, different progression for the class, etc) but has some accepted rule and the game is already ignoring the most basic, like rule for spell (mage hand not only broked for shove but for the casting time and not a concentration spell... it's almost another spell, can we call it Bigby's Little Hand?), monster and potion, using optional rule for initiative...
It seems strange that 20 years ago, a game that ignored the turn based sistem of D&D could implement almost every other rule in the correct way, and now, with more powerfull PC they could implement the Turn but need to tweak or ignore all the other rule

What's wrong with using an official initiative variant? And bonus action for potions is a very popular homebrew rule in the pnp, I think it's even suggested in the rule books as I remember reading about it.

And the BG games didn't follow AD&D 2e rules very closely, it used a bastard version of 2e and 3e with tweaked rules everywhere. That's why BG2 has 3e classes in it. I find it funny you call out Larian for monsters, when BioWare was just as inventive with them...

As for mage hand, it's pre-alpha, it was bugged. Swen mentioned it. It wasn't supposed to behave like a character and it wasn't supposed to have shove but throw (which it can do for things weighting less than 10lb by the rules) but the throw didn't work in the build he had.