Originally Posted by Xary
Originally Posted by etonbears
@Xary : I don't know 5e well, but yes, it did seem that characters were able to do too much for what is a short turn; if it was strictly realistic according to 5e, it would be an even slower experience than that demonstrated, which was slow enough.

Given how long it took to demo not very much progress, I would assume that the 100 hour game is not supposed to level you very far. Perhaps as with BG1 the end-game will be level 5-7 or something. That would certainly be more in line with D&D TT, but might seem to be a bit underwhelming to modern video game players.

To me, the fight seemed long for three main reasons:
1) so many useless "charging" animation (when he jump, dash, disengage, cast a spell, etc) that only took 1 or 2 seconds, but added together they pile up
2) He seemed more interested in showing the potential of the game than to fight efficiently
3) Sometime it seemed that he didn't know what he was doing, or what he could do or how to do what he wanted

You're probably right there.The trouble with that is that I am not likely to be any quicker or more efficient than Sven, so progress will likely remain slow for me!

I guess the "control" animations are there to add some degree of excitement to otherwise static periods of play, but I agree they could do with being less "superhero", more subtle, and more immediate.