Originally Posted by TadasGa
Well.. kind of.. But on the other hand why does a character need a special plot point that explores say.. his gayness. We don't need an excuse to put a hetero character. His hetero doesn't play into the story and we don't seem to mind. Why the higher standard for gayness etc?

This is one of my biggest gripes with the whole "inclusion" model that a lot of media has been pushing. I understand that there are still some major shortcomings in most countries regarding the issue, however, the way it's handled in media is as though people are singularly defined by their sexuality or skin color, rather than their actual character.

When I go out to perform errands, go shopping, get my hair cut, or even go to work, I have more than likely seen or even conversed with people from the LGBTQ community, or who don't adhere to the male/female/hetero grouping, or several people from minority groups. I more often than not don't even realize this though since they don't wear a badge on their shirt saying "nonbinary" or "homosexual" and don't live their lives defined completely by stereotypes or informing everyone they meet.

There's no reason we need special plot points or quests or entire character arcs to tell us NPC #1 is black, homosexual and votes red or blue, when in reality, I don't give a flying fudge about any of that. I want to care about NPC #1 for other reasons than some forced inclusion that looks more like a box being checked off on a list (looking at Andromeda and Bioware).

I would say the perfect inclusion of a homosexual character in a game was Ellie from TLOU's base game. We get mild hints in the game, but unless you're looking for it you wouldn't really notice. Instead you develop an attachment to the character for a number of other reasons and the character is in no way defined by their sexuality or being female. They're just human.