Originally Posted by korotama
Originally Posted by qhristoff
what does that even mean "teach you how D&D is meant to be played"? As if I need to be taught? Baldur's Gate is a computer RPG based on D&D. It was never meant or designed to be an accurate translation of PnP rules.

Even Larian is making exceptional changes to D&D to make it work as a video game. Which is the same reason Bioware went with RTwP, to harness the video game part of the product.

Wizards is making a HUGE error in trying to push BG3 as an entry to PnP D&D.

Of course BG3 will be a success, though. It already bought its success through marketing.

Think of it as a lecture. Everyone loves one, don't they? For decades fans of the original games have had their heads stuck in the sand thinking their favorite games were some sort of gospel for the video game industry. Well, BG3 is being made just to prove people like you wrong. In fact, BG1 and 2 were terrible games and you'll see why when this game launches.

This is a bit of a false dichotomy. Qhristoff is a zealot, not really representative of BG fans. I loved the original BG-series dearly and replayed it when Beamdog's Enhanced Edition was released. That alone places me among the more ardent parts of the fandom. But I was knowingly chasing nostalgia more than a classic that could withstand the test of time. So what made the original series a classic? Mostly because the games overdelivered so hard on contemporary expectations which even Bioware has admitted isn't possible today. Removed from that context, I agree Baldur's Gate should *not* be gospel in terms of game mechanics which is the focus of almost all of the BG3-criticism. That said; BG has made RPG staples like party interaction/banter, romance, character evolution and a deep storyline. DOS2 (my first and only Larian game) was more of a spiritual successor of the original series than Bioware's own NWN and DA in all regards in my opinion.

I think we agree BG3 is a smart move for both Larian and especially Wizards of the Coast. BG3 will revive a dead classic and furthermore showcase both D&D 5e and Larian. Taking the example of another Black Isle Studio title; the rights to Fallout was bought by Bethesda back in 2007. Fallout 3 was a revolution in terms of game mechanics and played nothing like its prequels, yet brought millions new gamers into the fandom.