Sordak, i agree with many points of you. But for eg, most adventures of 5e being low level, i said about it on first page. About 5e being trash, i partially agree. 5e is like the "skyrim" of TTRPG's.

As for more specialized casters, look to warlock on 5e. Their spell selection is extremely limited and their patron can only teach few thematic fitting spells. You can easily do a similar homebrew rule and force wizards to take a "theme" and only learns spells consistent with that theme.

And i saw a adaptation to D&D even for low magical settings where magic is extremely dangerous. I don't remember the link but if i find, i will post. In nutshell, many spells like create food and water, teleport, knock, stop time, wish(...) are removed and there are only 2 classes with access to spells. Warlocks and Clerics. Clerics needs to follow a strict dogma and perform good actions to level up( in addition to the experience) and warlocks, they bargain with outsider creatures for eldritch knowledge(they don't borrow or draw their power like a cleric) and to create a lv 1 warlock or get a level on warlock by multiclassing, or leve up as a warlock, you need to do a ritual, and do a persuasion check and after the ritual, you get exhaustion "levels" and roll a bargain table. The creature can take parts of your soul, reducing permanently your WIS and CON score, gold, giving weakness to a element, a curse, request a quest or nothing and often will require a "tribute" that can be slaves, animals, gold, etc; Eldritch Blast is invisible to non supernatural beings(except higher level martial classes) and you don't have spell slots, instead, you need to roll to cast a spell and the DC becomes exponentially harder as the spell level advance and damaging spells blow up in your own hand if you fail on casting the spell. Summons can become hostile and so on.

That magical system is great? For a Conan themed game, yes. For a high magical game which starts with mindflayers spelljammer ship fighting dragon riders. no...

As for elemental planes, i could't disagree more. One of the most amazing moments that i had was when my party was on city of embers trying to bargain to get access to certain archives to solve a huge problem.

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 03/06/20 09:03 PM.