Originally Posted by Sordak

But yes, you are right in identifying that Dragon Age is a political setting and it includes nonsensical elements for the sake of making a political point.
So essentielly you agree with me, but you dont want to because you dont like the politics you assume i hold.
Congratulations.

We're almost at the point of understanding one another even if we are unlikely to agree with one another. I'm saying that DA is a political setting, that DOS2 is a political setting, that BG2 is a political setting and that politics are inevitable. Humans are political animals. What I don't agree with is the notion that there are political settings and non political settings.

Also I'm not trying to set you for a trap. Truly. I'm aiming for understanding. I'm blind to some things and I see some things more clearly. Just as you do. And there are advantages to seeing and to blindness.

On Caucasian / white. We just aren't going to agree. Race is a social construct, there is a no Caucasian race outside of census forms. Caucasian / Caucasoid has been used by many different racial taxonomies but started with the (neo platonic) notion that 'whites' had their origins in the Caucasus mountain chain because the people who still live in the Caucasus are the most beautiful people in the world. It's silly theory that been thoroughly debunked. (and I have read the original accounts btw)

Originally Posted by Sordak

No, despite what you americans get taught, not all "white" people look the same

You are making my point for me. Yes, Americans have been "taught" not to see these differences.

You can divide up the world anyway you like -- redheads / blondes / big ears / windows peaks / tongue rollers etc. It just don't think those categories are any more real than white. And because these aren't real -- because people can be 'taught' not to see them -- I just don't object to someone creating a world were half of the people look black. Or a world where half the people have widow peaks for that matter. Incidentally, no one has explained why Faerun and Rivelon have achieved gender equality. Women can be warriors or enchanters / necromancers or paladins. Was there a women's movement at some point? Why are these worlds more equitable than our own? And if the gender equality of these two settings didn't spoil your enjoyment of BG and DOS (and I hope they didn't) you might want to think about *why* race is so important to you and gender equality less so.

Oh on Dune, part of why I was never a big fan was that the politics were too similar to the geopolitics of the time. And, yeah, the whole Lawrence of Arabia / white savior narrative annoys me. And I could go on . . . Good example of a book with right wing politics.