Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Personally, I disagree that any origin character should be “larger than life”. I find it takes a fair amount of suspension of disbelief when the games would have us believe our potential companions are veteran warriors or powerful mages with fearsome reputations, then they join the party at level 2 and struggle against the first bunch of petty thieves you run into.

They can still have interesting personalities and backstories without trying to tell me they are something they evidently aren’t.

OP mentions that Gale should look and act the part of a mage with ambitions to be uber powerful. I think he can have those ambitions whilst being decidedly amateur at the beginning. Then we can see how his personality develops as he actually becomes powerful throughout the game. Maybe we can influence what kind of mage he turns into?

Same goes for all the origin characters. I hope Lae'zel isn’t portrayed as commander of Githyanki forces or whatever. She should be a rookie as befitting the skills she has at the start of the game.

The one that worries me slightly is Wyll:

“Noble by birth, Wyll made his name as the heroic 'Blade of Frontiers'.”

Right. He’s a bona fide hero is he? How did he manage that exactly? I actually hope is character is a bit of a fraud or someone who just had some incredibly good luck at the right time.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not going bother me that much. It’s just unnecessary if they take this route.

S
veteran
veteran
S
hes a warlock, thats his flaw.
But i admit him and gale just seem to be kind of boring.
meanwhile the elf is obnoxious

Traycor Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dagless
Same goes for all the origin characters. I hope Lae'zel isn’t portrayed as commander of Githyanki forces or whatever. She should be a rookie as befitting the skills she has at the start of the game.

By "larger than life" I don't mean powerful or skilled. For instance, Lae'zel is larger than life. She's this alien warrior, ultra dedicated to the destruction of the Illithids (and is slowly becoming the thing she's sworn to hate). She doesn't look like a random villager or even a random warrior. Her look, culture, and aesthetic are "larger than life". None of that requires her to be renowned or experienced.

Astarion is also "larger than life" because he isn't a typical rogue/thief. Instead, he's an actual creature of the night. He isn't just some tough guy who's willing to kill--he actually munches down on you and is indifferent to death. His persona is what I find "larger than life".

Gale has been my punching bag, mainly because he has the worst visual design. I highly doubt they asked the concept artists to come up with a highly plain character to be their hero wizard. If that's what you were going for it would have been handled differently. Mostly likely there were a list of requirements and approvals that pushed and pulled the design until the end result was just a mushy nothing. Visually he should have some distinctive elements that make him memorable and tell us who he is. Whatever their intent was on the design for Gale, it seems to have been lost.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard