Originally Posted by Seraphael
Originally Posted by Valerie

Originally Posted by Sordak
By your logic you cannot use any humanoid creature as a stand in for evil to create a better story.

Problem is not with human-like characters being evil, problem is with them being evil by nature rather than by choice/nurture.

I find your bias for "human-like" creatures to be problematic. Is humanoid shape a prerequisite for being worthy of the kind of moral nuance, consideration and supremacy you ascribe to humans? Isn't the next cause therefore, when you realize the slippery slope you're created for yourself, to purge every conceivable offence, to make every race and everything bland as Communism, squashing true diversity?

[Linked Image]

I specifically used human-like instead of humanoid to refer to behaviours, because vast majority of fiction writes their non-humans as humans in rubber suits, maybe with a specific behavioural hat on. Because most fiction writers are not writing about actually alien beings, but ones that are used as a stand-in for parts human condition, used in an exaggerated way.

Originally Posted by _Vic_
I´m sure the idea of nature vs nurture was discussed by philosophers for centuries since the helenos greek polis, far before the works of Marx and Engels.

That said, even if I disagree with @Valerie, I think you are seeing the ghost of communism here because there´s nothing that screams communism in what the user Valerie said. Sounds like you are trying to bring a discussion about politics from elsewhere to this thread where we´re discussing other things.

Amusingly, enough, their overblown reaction did not land far from my actual political leanings, I'm the worst stereotype of my kind.
[Linked Image]
although I'm sure they know little to nothing of what those beliefs actually contain