I don't really see the need to jump into "this game isn't for you" territory. That's dismissive and honestly a little rude. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean there isn't value to the mechanics.

I suspect it's largely a result of their engine and not having implemented it previously. It would likely take some serious work to bring the engine in line with such a system. And that's fine. I don't think the reaction is overblown, it's really just feedback that displays the disappointment with the decision.

it's also a little dishonest to say it was only cosmetic in BG1/2. In BG1 the cycle absolutely had consequences, ranging from losing companions if you spent too much time exploring/resting to how time of day would impact the frequency of fights or ambushes. These things mean the day/night cycle has actual consequence on the game, which I love and adds to the immersion. And this game could have consequences as a result, too, especially in a game where we're under threat of a tadpole taking us over in 7 days. The fact there is no cycle really diminishes that threat in favor of a narrative, which in itself isn't bad, but still disappointing.