Many of the old deities made a comeback, like Amaunator or the Dead three(Baal, Bane, Myrkul) ... if you think 5e´s disconnected it´s better that you do not take a look at the celestial lore of 4e XD

More than 100 years happened between the events of AD&D and the world move on. It would be weird if a major catastrophe happened and more than a century and everything remains the same. All the (good) fantasy worlds evolve, and 20 years of development and 3 different editions passed, any of them making changes. And usually the videogame adaptations are not canon, so many of the events in those games never happened in the world.

Every D&D edition there are changes in the world, and they create some lore explanations about the rise of new gods or the fall of gods or civilizations; like the Spellplague, the Second Sundering, the Time of troubles...you have to add the apparition of new races, new dangers and new planes and continents to explore; All made, so the world remains fresh and new to explore and to inspire new people to create brand new stories.

To be fair, BG3 is based in the actual lore of D&D5e, and WoTC is heavily invested in the project so I´m sure that the game will be heavily based in how the world of Faerun in general, and the Sword Coast and the city of Baldur´s Gate, in particular, is NOW, in this edition and in this particular era of the history of the world they´re in. If they mess up something in the game, I´m sure it would not be the lore. In the short gameplay and videos, We´ve seen Volo, a zhentarim halfling, svirfneblins, drows, goblins, the underdark, a Cambion, there´ll be references to the Dead Three,... so I´m sure the game will be connected but connected to the modern Forgotten Realms, which is different from past editions, of course.

If there´s something in the lore or the world you find weird or you do not like, just google it. I´m sure you find that most of the time that´s because that´s the official lore of D&D5e right now.

Last edited by _Vic_; 10/07/20 11:08 AM.