Originally Posted by kanisatha
Within the Forgotten Realms fandom, this type of event is known as an RSE (Realms shaking event). Towards the end of the 3.5e era, WotC was pushing out an RSE every year. People just got sick of it all. Every year, every person living in the Realms went through an RSE, a catastrophe to end all catastrophes. Then, you finally somehow survive the RSE and get through it only to find yet another catastrophe to end all catastrophes waiting for you around the corner. It was ridiculous. The whole Spellplague business was supposed to finally move us away from that model. And for a few years we were free of RSEs. But now WotC is back in the business of RSEs one after the other. Why? Because RSEs are what sell source books and game modules.

Yep, money is king.

My idea of the FR is rooted in 2e lore, and if I were playing PnP I would probably be ignoring all the WoTC silliness since.

Personally, I would have preferred them to broaden and deepen the FR lore rather than continually "updating" the bits we already had. Most of Toril is still a blank canvas, plenty of opportunity to create extra source books and game modules; and that's before even considering the rest of the planes.

I guess it's more interesting for them to write materials concerning RSEs than books on the social etiquette of trolls. smile