Originally Posted by qhristoff
I think that the only real issue is the expectations set by that number 3 in the title.

Everyone wants a new D&D game.

Everyone is excited about a new Baldur's Gate game.

But the 3 on that title sets certain expectations that are never going to be met.

This is it exactly, at least for me. Everything else about the game could have been exactly the same as it is today, but just with a title that had nothing to do with the original BG games. Heck, it could even have had the words 'BG' in the title, something like 'BG: The New Generation,' or whatever, and that would've clearly signaled this was a new franchise that was not part of the old BG franchise.

The irony for me is that had this game not gone the route of using the BG3 title (or in any way being a sequel to the old BG games), I would be quite open to this game and even be interested in playing it. Yes of course I would still have the same criticisms I have of the game right now, but the big difference being that I would not be anywhere near as passionate about it and could dispassionately just accept the game for what it is, namely a new D&D 5e RPG that is not quite to my liking but as a D&D fan I'll go ahead and give it a shot. Something like how I approached SCL, or am currently approaching Solasta and Realms Beyond. But the moment the game took on the BG3 title, along with all the implications of being a sequel to BG1 & 2, my expectations of the game fundamentally and radically changed.