Originally Posted by Emrikol
Originally Posted by etonbears
So, if the purpose of EA is to improve the game, but it is full price, it is unlikely to attract any but those that would have purchased the final product regardless of EA. You get something of an echo chamber effect, and are likely to get a more restricted range of feedback.

As this is not a means of gaining funding, one would not expect to receive access to the 1.0 release for anything less than the normal full price; but, an alternative might be a lesser EA price, which can be "upgraded" for the full game. I don't expect this to change, but there is some logic to it.

I am of the understanding, perhaps mistakenly (which would definitely change things if so) that we will not need to purchase 1.0 if we already paid for EA. If I am correct, then it is in Larian's best interest to list EA for the full price of $59.99, since as you said, a lot of people who would buy 1.0 will buy and play EA too, and would in effect end up getting the game for a cheaper price, thereby undercutting (perhaps severely) Larian's expected profits. For example, if they are hoping to have 1 million sales in the first year, that is 60 million in expected revenue. If 300k of those 1 million people bought the game via EA for $30, Larian would need to charge almost $73 for the remaining 700k people who buy 1.0 to make up the difference. If we will need to purchase 1.0 for another $59.99, then that is another matter entirely. We should get some official clarification on this.

Some miscommunication here, I think.

What I meant was, if EA gives you 1/3 of the game's content to try and comment on, then one option might be to pay 1/3 of the price just for that content. When the full game comes out, you pay the remaining 2/3 of the price to "upgrade" EA to the 1.0 release. The cost for the full game is the same ( no-one gets the full game cheaper ); the only difference is that if the full game does not turn out to your liking after feedback from EA, you needn't purchase the "upgrade" to the full game.

As I said, I don't expect this to happen, and consequently their feedback may be limited to those people very enthusiastic for what they see already.