Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Sordak
>Dungoens make sense
i kind of disagree.
They dont have to. They are old, crumbled things. Designed by madmen and wizards and worse yet to kill intruders. They evovled further, bled into the underdark, twisted under the weight of curses an strange experiments.
Designign dungeons after real life Blueprints means taht youll end up with just a couple of rooms

That's a reasonable point. Down with realistic dungeons that are only a couple of rooms!

Big is beautiful! The only time I made a serious attempt at modding was with the NWN2 toolset; I wanted to produce a full-scale version of Waterdeep, including Skullport and Undermountain. I translated maps of Waterdeep topography, and split it up into the largest available NWN2 area format ( 320m x 320m; about 90 seconds to run across in-game ); and ended up with about 75 areas ( I think ) to cover the city at street level ( ignoring Skullport and Undermountain ).

I got as far as sculpting the city terrain and building the city wall for the first of these areas before the reality of the 32-bit engine caught up with me. You can't build anything significant within 2GB memory, unless the engine is designed to stream data in and out, and NWN2 definitely was not! Good thing too, really, as I'd still be doing it now if the engine hadn't continually choked on the data volume.

But...I'd still really like to recreate Waterdeep; so for my sanity's sake, I hope the BG3 toolset isn't up to the task!