Originally Posted by Skallewag
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Skallewag
The difference lies in who is being targeted and why. A troll in an online game who repeatedly targets whoever is in the game with derogatory comments then the person isnt targeting people based on identity. Its just someone being a jerk.

What words we call things matter. I agree that racism is a bad thing, but if we cant separate between people being jerks and people being racist we just hurt our ability to fight against racism. If you try to fight against racism by figting against people who are just trying to be jerks all you are doing is signalling "hey other person who is trying to rile me up, here is something you can use that is extra effective."

Hmmmmm, no. Sorry. It’s always wrong to call a stranger on the internet n***** regardless of the intent, and the reason it is wrong is because the term is deeply racist. Whether they are racist in their heart or not doesn’t matter. We can only judge people by their actions and how they choose to present themselves, not what is in their heart. We can never truly know that. People who act like racists deserve to be judged accordingly.

Lol, Im not saying it isnt wrong. It is absolutely shitty to call people names online or anywhere. Im simply pointing out that there is a difference between being racist towards someone and being a jerk towards someone, and if you intent to fight racism you will not succeed in doi g so is that the problem you are having with someone is them being a jerk as opposed to them being racist.

Racism, thashtalking, sexism and trolling are all different phenomenons.They are not nice, but they are caused by different things and if you fail to differentiate between them properly you will be ineffective at fighting any of them. It is ofc not your job to care about or do something about these problems, but if you actually do care about either of these problems you need to be able to identify what you are dealing with to combat it with any efficency.

I don’t understand how genuine racist remakes could be distinguished from inauthentic remakes, nor why they require different approaches. Ideally neither should be tolerated, and both should be met with the same general reaction of collective disapproval.

I appreciate that you are able to express alternate views civilly, but I’m not persuaded because you keep insisting that a behavior needs to be treated differently based on intent but haven’t explained why or how.

Last edited by Warlocke; 22/09/20 06:57 PM.