Originally Posted by Nyanko
@Wynne: your arguments would be valuable if we knew anything about the plot in BG3. But here, they are only speculations as to why we have to commit. It doesn't matter whether there will be 3, 4, 5 or 6 companions we can choose to accompany us further. Because maybe we don't even choose at all by picking the ones we like but more like they follow us as a consequence of what we did and what they did in the first act. So let's see how it unfolds in EA before writing books about it, shall we?

Nah, since I made no assumptions anyway but simply gave my opinions about possibilities based on what was said by the developer, I actually don't need to be patronized or told what to do with my time, because letting my thoughts be known now on what I like and don't like gives the developer more time to actually change anything about how they're developing the game.

And to everyone who's said more respectful things, thank you, I appreciate you.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

IF we are not able to replace lost companions with other Origin characters with actual personalities, then Larian has gone significantly against their goal of making this game feel like an authentic roleplaying d&d experience.

Are people really so stuck in their principles that they wouldn't just do another playthrough to see how the other character stories or other decisions pan out?
A lot of the comments that I'm seeing make it seem like you only get one shot at this and I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone needs one perfect playthrough.

For the record, I plan on doing multiple playthroughs and I agree that every playthrough does not need to be “perfect.” I just think that it would kind of suck if one of my 3 companions dies/leaves a few hours into Act 2 and I have to go through the rest of that playthrough having only 2 companions that I can meaningfully interact with and learn about their story. 80+ hours per playthrough is not an insignificant amount of time…

Again, this is all assuming that you can't fill an empty slot with an Origin character past Act 1, quite possibly a faulty assumption. If we are able to go onto a quest to locate and convince someone we left behind earlier to rejoin us, hopefully starting out with a very strained relationship from whatever choice in Act 1 led to them leaving our party, I'd be more than happy!

I'm with you here; I plan on multiple playthroughs... but not everyone does, and it's not fun to have the rug pulled out from under you, so I think all games should give the player some narrative control. If you know what you're doing is risky and might get someone killed, then it feels like a mistake you made when they die--that's so much better than if it feels more random. All those hours of play don't feel wasted if it feels like the main character screwed up rather than the story screwing them over. I like how Mass Effect did it, for the most part--if someone died during that suicide mission, you mostly had yourself to blame for not doing due diligence.

I like the quest idea as well; I don't mind having to go through some lengths to set a quest flag like "Wyll recruited late" that would limit him from deeper interactions with other characters. That would in fact increase the variable nature of the game and make each playthrough feel more like a different story, a different experience.

Last edited by Wynne; 29/09/20 10:26 PM.