Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
addict
addict
Originally Posted by CandrianIllborne
First, I would say that I hope I don't come across as angry. After all, we're arguing about video games of all things. But there were a lot of questions I had earlier in the thread that remain unanswered.

To address one argument - that people should play through multiple times - I feel that this argument is dismissive and unrealistic. Many players, myself included, tend to get a little burnt out after one playthrough and don't feel like picking up a game immediately afterwards. Expecting players to play through your game multiple times so they can have the experience they wish is unfair and unrealistic. It places an unrealistic expectation on the player, and frankly totally misses and sidesteps the major points that many of us are making. I do understand that a really large game that has so many choices will inevitably lead to people missing content, and I'm ok and supportive of that sort of thing. I simply don't understand why that should apply to character and party choice, when having party choice and conflict was such an essential part of the original games. To sum up: I'm not looking for the perfect playthrough. I'm looking for a satisfying one.

I'm one of the people who made that point, so I'd like to address it. My stance was never to start a second playthrough immediately afterwards and I never put a timeframe on that. Some people will do that, but I imagine that most will probably play something else for a while and then come back with fresh eyes in a few weeks, or even months. Using Divinity: Original Sin 2 as an example, I've logged something like 370+ hours in the game over the course of 6 playthroughs. There were still conversations, locations, items, and encounters that I had never seen before in my final playthrough. I didn't feel cheated because the game was too big, and I didn't scold myself that I had somehow managed to miss these things. I took it as a testament to the quality and depth of the game. I feel as though the same mentality should apply here.

I didn't personally see anyone say that they felt like it was unfair that they didn't get the fabled "perfect playthrough" the first time around because there was just too much content, so I'm wondering why that argument applies now in a similar situation. You feel as though you'd be unsatisfied with a mildly limited party, but much like in D:OS2, a majority of people are going to feel satisfied with it. The only burden you face is adjusting your expectations back down to a realistic level because Baldur's Gate 3 isn't going to be a 1TB game that allows you to do everything that you've ever imagined in an RPG. There have to be design limitations.

Another argument I would make is that limiting character choice after a single act totally misinterprets and changes the way characters have always worked in the BG series. In those games you could lose your important, essential characters late in the game, forcing you to either make due or change your party. This, to me, goes to the heart of what a previous poster said - I totally agree that forcing a player to make choices is essential and a good thing for a game and an experience. It makes everything heavier and more meaningful. But currently what we see is that the major character/party decision is made potentially only once: at the end of act 1. In the original games these heavy choices were made *frequently* with every dialog and moral decision that you would make. These were hard decisions, and they happened a lot.

I've mentioned in a different thread that I sometimes enjoy playing evil characters. In the BG games, my choices were sometimes strongly influenced by who was in my party. By choosing to do the evil thing, I sometimes ran the risk of pissing off Minsc, for example. And if this happened late in the game then I was doubly careful and aware of where we stood together in a group. So how did I make these decisions? In short, I roleplayed. I used "head canon" with my character and justified it in character realistically, thereby giving greater depth to the character I was playing instead of playing a cartoonish villian who did whatever he wanted, consequences be damned. The consequences were very real from a player's perspective. I could, of course, replace Minsc if necessary. The game allowed for that by letting Minsc walk away if needed and by giving me extra choices late in game. They might not have been my first choice but.. is that not the nature of in-game decision making? The way I understand things, I can be an evil dick in the later acts and my good friends will simply stick around. And if they won't - will I be allowed to replace them? Based on what little we've heard I would guess no. Currently, this is unknown and I am totally open to being corrected on my initial suspicions.

Ultimately, what Larian is implying is that players really must make one decision, or a culmination of smaller decisions, that pays off at the end of act 1. And that's it. There's nothing else, no further decisions to be made about party makeup later in the game, and absolutely no serious character v character conflicts that occur after the 1st act (don't forget how characters could clash in the original games). To me, this is not a choice. This is railroading. And it certainly isn't BG.

Although I can appreciate nostalgia, things have a tendency to change after 20 years. I really don't think that Larian is going to shove some arbitrary reason in your face that dismisses the importance of the party splitting up, and I'm willing to bet that there's likely a key plot point that wasn't just shoehorned in that makes perfect sense as to why those people wouldn't be tagging along. I'm confused, as you don't seem to mind the idea of party members leaving, even very late into the game. So it's not so much about not having them available, it's about wanting it to be a decision that you're not obligated to make when the plot calls for it? On this point, I'd just say wait and see how the story pans out.

One thing I will add that is in agreement with what has been said previously. I do think that smaller parties with less potential mixing of personalities tends to lead to greater in-depth character interactions. Planescape was a great example of this, for instance.

This statement is confusing. You don't necessarily want a party size to be limited and you don't want to make a hard call about who's going to continue on that adventure with you, but you recognize the value of a more intimate group? I can't tell from this comment if you're just willing to deal with whatever they decide to do, or if a smaller party size justified by an intense narrative shift is a dealbreaker for you.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CandrianIllborne
First, I would say that I hope I don't come across as angry. After all, we're arguing about video games of all things. But there were a lot of questions I had earlier in the thread that remain unanswered.

To address one argument - that people should play through multiple times - I feel that this argument is dismissive and unrealistic. Many players, myself included, tend to get a little burnt out after one playthrough and don't feel like picking up a game immediately afterwards. Expecting players to play through your game multiple times so they can have the experience they wish is unfair and unrealistic. It places an unrealistic expectation on the player, and frankly totally misses and sidesteps the major points that many of us are making. I do understand that a really large game that has so many choices will inevitably lead to people missing content, and I'm ok and supportive of that sort of thing. I simply don't understand why that should apply to character and party choice, when having party choice and conflict was such an essential part of the original games. To sum up: I'm not looking for the perfect playthrough. I'm looking for a satisfying one.

Another argument I would make is that limiting character choice after a single act totally misinterprets and changes the way characters have always worked in the BG series. In those games you could lose your important, essential characters late in the game, forcing you to either make due or change your party. This, to me, goes to the heart of what a previous poster said - I totally agree that forcing a player to make choices is essential and a good thing for a game and an experience. It makes everything heavier and more meaningful. But currently what we see is that the major character/party decision is made potentially only once: at the end of act 1. In the original games these heavy choices were made *frequently* with every dialog and moral decision that you would make. These were hard decisions, and they happened a lot.

I've mentioned in a different thread that I sometimes enjoy playing evil characters. In the BG games, my choices were sometimes strongly influenced by who was in my party. By choosing to do the evil thing, I sometimes ran the risk of pissing off Minsc, for example. And if this happened late in the game then I was doubly careful and aware of where we stood together in a group. So how did I make these decisions? In short, I roleplayed. I used "head canon" with my character and justified it in character realistically, thereby giving greater depth to the character I was playing instead of playing a cartoonish villian who did whatever he wanted, consequences be damned. The consequences were very real from a player's perspective. I could, of course, replace Minsc if necessary. The game allowed for that by letting Minsc walk away if needed and by giving me extra choices late in game. They might not have been my first choice but.. is that not the nature of in-game decision making? The way I understand things, I can be an evil dick in the later acts and my good friends will simply stick around. And if they won't - will I be allowed to replace them? Based on what little we've heard I would guess no. Currently, this is unknown and I am totally open to being corrected on my initial suspicions.

Ultimately, what Larian is implying is that players really must make one decision, or a culmination of smaller decisions, that pays off at the end of act 1. And that's it. There's nothing else, no further decisions to be made about party makeup later in the game, and absolutely no serious character v character conflicts that occur after the 1st act (don't forget how characters could clash in the original games). To me, this is not a choice. This is railroading. And it certainly isn't BG.

One thing I will add that is in agreement with what has been said previously. I do think that smaller parties with less potential mixing of personalities tends to lead to greater in-depth character interactions. Planescape was a great example of this, for instance.

Well said. A game being designed as something that MUST be played multiple times is complete BS. Proper game design does mean that even someone who plays the game only once still gets a meaningful and FULLY satisfying experience. And it is people who play a game multiple times who are clearly in the minority.

Furthermore, none of us is even complaining about not experiencing the companions who are lost after Act 1. I don't care that I didn't experience the stories of the companions who were not in my party. That's not even the point at all. The point is that we are locked into having only three companions (regardless of who those companions are) and not having any flexibility to change companions from quest to quest or replace companions we lose later in the game or who we decide we don't like. None of these things changes from one playthrough to another. It doesn't matter how many times one plays the game, these problems with the game remain in each and every one of those playthroughs.

veteran
veteran
Well, there are only five companions and you could be one of them ( If you are an Origin character) So you can save three or four and only one or two are left behind in the end.

Personal tastes aside, that is the same already done in many games, the two already mentioned, the first POE where Calisca dies in the prelude, the two Grey warden recruit companions that die in DaO and daO: Awakening, Thrask the soldier that cannot escape the Endar Spire in Kotor with you, etc etc etc.

The difference is that in those games you cannot go back and play with the ones that you left behind, it seems in this game you could go back and play with a different party in the next run, if it is made the same way it´s done in Drakensang:TROT

That said, it´s merely speculation, we would not know for sure until later. Maybe even after the final release of the game, because it´s already announced that the EA would only last for Ch1 and with only 5 companions.

Personally, I kinda like if it´s made that way. Gives me something new when I replay the game with another character.

stranger
stranger
The issue isn't whether or not choices are being taken away, the issue is that this hampers roleplay decisions because the consequences of your actions are now not just narrative, they're mechanical. If I have 7 party members, 3 slots self not included, and lose 2 of them because of decisions I made, then I can at least make do with the companions I have left for party composition, and I still can roleplay even though I have fewer options. If I have 3 and lose 2, my party composition is in tatters, and I lose a whole lot of roleplaying opportunities that can't be made up for (theoretically). So I am now meta-roleplaying and compromising my character concept because I don't want my party composition to be gutted, and I dont want the rest of my playthrough to be comparatively hollow.

Now theoretically, that could instead add to the roleplay in that you are now making decisions in character to keep your companions happy, or you're taking on the hit to your party composition because "it's what my character would do." However, people are far more likely to meta-roleplay because it's the path of least resistance, and it would come off as that this is what the devs want you to do. (For context, I love playing manipulative characters so I personally have no problem with this)

So we're going back full circle to what has been said at least 3 times now, which is IF they can pull off this system while still giving the player more roleplay/party composition options rather than less, then the complaints are moot. Until that is shown or at least implied, then it's valid to raise concerns. The game will be great regardless imo, but there's still value in pointing out potential flaws.

Just for further context, in DOS2 there was little one could do that would sway a companion one way or another outside of direct conversation with them, losing one didn't give your playthrough much added depth, and the decision to have the ones not in your party composition leave forever was arbitrary and also added little depth (like I know why they did it but they could have honestly just put in generic godwoken and labeled them as such as opposed to showing the ones we were forced to abandon and it would've had the same effect), so it's not like there isn't precedent for concern. Again, it's not a problem for me personally, but Larian really ought to step it up if they're going to do this again because it's rather hollow as is, and people are retreating to the tried and true system of multiple inactive companions because that one is less likely to result in the meta-roleplay conundrum.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Well, there are only five companions and you could be one of them ( If you are an Origin character) So you can save three or four and only one or two are left behind in the end.

In the full release there will be 9+ companions. So we would have to leave behind most of them, not just one or two. (Note: 9+ companions is a, I think reasonable, guess)

Personal tastes aside, that is the same already done in many games, the two already mentioned, the first POE where Calisca dies in the prelude, the two Grey warden recruit companions that die in DaO and daO: Awakening, Thrask the soldier that cannot escape the Endar Spire in Kotor with you, etc etc etc.

I'm sorry, but you can't compare the two Grey Warden recruits to BG3 Origin companions. The wardens are forced upon you, will always die, are only there for a single mission, and you can't meaningfully interact with them. *Most importantly, the death of these recruits does not limit the other companions you can collect throughout the game.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 01/10/20 05:32 PM. Reason: Clarification on number of companions
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
[quote=_Vic_]

In the full release there will be 9+ companions. So we would have to leave behind most of them, not just one or two.

Was it said somewhere that there would be at least 9 companions? I’ve only heard that more will be added, and I think that there will be at least 9, but I just wanted to know if that number came from a source.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
[quote=_Vic_]

In the full release there will be 9+ companions. So we would have to leave behind most of them, not just one or two.

Was it said somewhere that there would be at least 9 companions? I’ve only heard that more will be added, and I think that there will be at least 9, but I just wanted to know if that number came from a source.

Ah, sorry, no. That's a total guess on my part based on the number of companions out for EA and the number of PHB classes. Although, I believe the Panel from Hell did reveal that each of the writers are writing a companion, and there are 10ish writers...

veteran
veteran
Yes, and you are also assuming that you will have all the companions in Ch1, not the only 5 we already have.

I'm sorry, but you can't compare the two Grey Warden recruits to BG3 Origin companions. The wardens are forced upon you, will always die, are only there for a single mission, and you can't meaningfully interact with them. *Most importantly, the death of these recruits does not limit the other companions you can collect throughout the game.

Yeaaah... that´s what I said that In those games you lose them for good, in BG3 it seems you can recruit your lost companions in another playthroughs even if they are left behind, they will be ful-fledged companions, something I find appealing. That´s in, you know, the part of my post you did not quoted.
I am assuming you are going to lose some companions because they told us so. I´m glad you can recruit them when you replay the game. It gives the same vibe when In the first Mass Effect game you can decide to save Kaiden or Ashley and you play with the one you save the rest of the game (and in Me3) but you can replay the game and save the other nonetheless.

Last edited by _Vic_; 01/10/20 04:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes, and you are also assuming that you will have all the companions in Ch1, not the only 5 we already have. wink

That is true. I am hoping that there is some mix: we get ~7 companion options in Act 1, then can find ~3-4 more companions in Act 2. That would nicely solve basically all of the issues I have currently!

Yeaaah... that´s what I said that In those games you lose them for good, in BG3 it seems you can recruit your lost companions in another playthroughs even if they are left behind, they will be ful-fledged companions, something I find appealing. That´s in, you know, the part of my post you did not quoted.
I am assuming you are going to lose some companions because they told us so. I´m glad you can recruit them when you replay the game.

I did read the rest of your post, but I still think there's too much difference between the warden recruits and the Origin companions. The wardens are not fully fleshed characters that you can get to know through camp interactions (iirc). They are most similar to mercenaries, which a lot of us are arguing against being forced to take. I like your comparison of Kaidan or Ashley much more! I haven't played those games, but it sounds like what we expect to happen in BG3, involving a choice between real companions.

I am not against losing companions; that can offer great roleplaying experiences and replayability! I am just worried about being stuck with only 3 companions and one of them dying, then being forced to recruit a boring mercenary. This turns, as mostundesired stated very well, narrative decisions into mechanical ones.

But again, this is all based off of a single line in the Q&A section of the romance update. If we have to commit to 7 or even 5 companions instead of only 3, I will be happy. If we can re-recruit companions we once left behind, I will be happy. If resurrection is easy...eh I'd prefer if it wasn't that.

veteran
veteran
I wasnt´comparing BG3 companions with the companions that you lose in the prelude in some games. I was saying that if you have to lose party members in BG3, I am glad that you do it (possibly) in a way that you can choose who lives and dies and that allows you to recruit the companions that you left behind when you replay the game.
Kinda the same it happens in Mass effect with Kayden and Ashley, like I told you in the part of my post you do not quoted (again) XDD

enthusiast
enthusiast
My guess is that Act 1 is getting the tadpole removed. It's going to be a down to the wire event that you barely survive, which means those not in your party will not live because they were not there to get the cure.
After that, the story will be all about stopping the Mindflayers.

It's just a guess, but that would make the most sense, to me.

veteran
veteran
I wasnt´comparing BG3 companions with the companions that you lose in the prelude in some games. I was saying that if you have to lose party members in BG3, I am glad that you do it (possibly) in a way that you can choose who lives and dies and that allows you to recruit the companions that you left behind when you replay the game.
Kinda the same it happens in Mass effect with Kayden and Ashley, like I told you in the part of my post you do not quoted (again) XDD

I am also glad that we'll have a choice in who lives and dies and that you can choose differently on future playthroughs!

And oops I'll take 50% of the blame for not quoting your Kaidan/Ashley text. But I'm giving you the other 50% since you only included that in an edit to your original post (I'm pretty sure). I forgot to change your quote to account for that. xD

Originally Posted by Eguzky
My guess is that Act 1 is getting the tadpole removed. It's going to be a down to the wire event that you barely survive, which means those not in your party will not live because they were not there to get the cure.
After that, the story will be all about stopping the Mindflayers.

It's just a guess, but that would make the most sense, to me.

I hope at least some of the other companions live. Maybe they become mindflayers you have to fight later. Maybe they ally with some other power to get their tadpoles removed, and then come into conflict with you when you fight that power (and possibly recruit them then???).

stranger
stranger
I think this is a great idea. It should be fun to make that decision and live with it throughout that play-through.

apprentice
apprentice
Kill all your companions, then you don't need to worry about companions.

Thanks for reading...

Razorback aka Daevin Aruth
"Nullius Pavet Occursum" = "He fears not meeting with any one"
Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves...
https://discord.gg/jxA5AvA
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Razorback
Kill all your companions, then you don't need to worry about companions.

[Linked Image]

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
My guess is that there will be two categories of companions. Origin Characters (Companions) and Companion Characters. I'm assuming that we have probably seen all or at least most of the Origin Characters. These characters have more lines of dialogue than anyone else almost definitely, and require the most work toward developing in general. I'm assuming that later in the game, possibly after the end of Chapter 1, we will be introduced to more potential companions who are also heavily developed, albeit to a lesser degree than the Origin Characters (who, to remind you, are also player characters).

Companion Characters who are not Origin Characters would have less potential for being driving forces behind the storyline, while having their own plots going on. They'd have voice acting and other major development, but little enough to manage to pump out additional characters.

I'm probably wrong about all of this, but I came around to this theory just by thinking about Minsc. I don't envision Minsc being a selectable character at creation. I could see him being excluded from the game entirely, but because he is the most popular character in the series bar-none, and in 5th edition is alive per the canon, it makes more sense to me to include him than to exclude him. Potentially there may only be a cameo; there may be a referential cameo, but total exclusion? Not so sure. I suspect he will be someone you can recruit down the road, but who can never be a main origin character.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by golw
I'm assuming that we have probably seen all or at least most of the Origin Characters. These characters have more lines of dialogue than anyone else almost definitely, and require the most work toward developing in general. I'm assuming that later in the game, possibly after the end of Chapter 1, we will be introduced to more potential companions who are also heavily developed, albeit to a lesser degree than the Origin Characters (who, to remind you, are also player characters).

Nope. There will be more companions added throughout Early Acces - and EA consists of chapter 1. Having to pick your team from available companions/origins would be in line with what Larian did in D:OS2 as well.

stranger
stranger
I don't mind choosing between a select few as long as I find a few that I end up liking, however, I do always use a custom character meaning I am usually one character short from the companions. I will never play an Origin character. This game nor DOS2 are The Witcher 3.

I am unaware of how the other companions will end up, but if they are just dead because I didn't choose them, that would be rather lazy in my opinion. I think there are clever ways to handle companions leaving if you aren't interested in adventuring with them.

Last edited by rak001; 04/10/20 12:34 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

This statement is confusing. You don't necessarily want a party size to be limited and you don't want to make a hard call about who's going to continue on that adventure with you, but you recognize the value of a more intimate group? I can't tell from this comment if you're just willing to deal with whatever they decide to do, or if a smaller party size justified by an intense narrative shift is a dealbreaker for you.

I can recognize that in certain games it works. I don't think it's appropriate for a BG game. Could the game still be fun? Yes, but in a way that doesn't quite scratch the itch that I have for a BG game. Overall, I suppose I'm willing to deal at this point.

I also don't have a problem with making "hard calls" - that's what the party dynamic in BG was sometimes about. I don't like how it's being done here though. It removes a lot of interesting characterization that could potentially occur. I also wouldn't call it a dealbreaker - it just isn't consistent with the underlying design philosophy of the previous games.

As you've said, I think that we are still very much in a "wait-and-see" sort of situation.

Banned
Banned
"Gather your party and venture forth" loses all meaning when you take away the ability for us to "gather a party" for more than half the game.

Just my 2 cents.

What made BG so replayable were the nearly limitless combinations of parties and companion compositions.

Losing a companion early in the game hurt, but you could find more people to join you later.

It was organic, and dynamic, and still considered the best RPG ever, so... I am not sure how changing it to be more DOS like is going to be a win.

I find it problematic how Larian doesn't want people comparing this to DOS2, and yet all they show us are the same limitations and failures that DOS2 brought.

Last edited by tsundokugames; 04/10/20 07:50 PM.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard