Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
stranger
I politely disagree with your interpretation of D&D 5e RAW.

Nowhere that I know of states that domains are locked to specific gods.

There certainly are suggestions regarding domains, but the final call is up to the player and their ability to justify their choices with the DM.

Additionally, as stated in the thread above, the Life domain is singled out as being available no matter what god you worship.

Personally, I enjoy the idea of mixing and matching domains and belief systems in ways that I don't feel that I have been encouraged to think of them before.

For example, the goddess Shar is associated with the domains; Trickery and Death. However, after reading her long and storied history, it could be argues that a Cleric who wields the power of; War, Twilight, Arcana, Life, Light, or, Tempest, may choose to worship the Dark Lady. Some may even argue that there are Clerics of yet more domains who may worship her. And don't forget that there are those who believe that she and her diametrically opposed sister, Selune, are actually the same goddess!

What I think we can both agree on is that Larian is great at giving us more options than we even expected while still honoring the lore of D&D! <3

W
veteran
veteran
W
Well, the rules do state that:

“As a cleric, you choose one aspect of your deity’s portfolio to emphasize, and you are granted powers related to that domain.”

Which I interpret to mean that domains are somewhat rigidly locked to dirties, though as with everything D&D, the DM has final say.

stranger
stranger
@Warlocke,

The next line in the PHB after your quote reads:

"Your choice might correspond to a particular sect dedicated to your deity. Apollo, for example, could be worshiped in one region as Phoebus (“radiant”) Apollo, emphasizing his influence over the Light domain, and in a different place as Apollo Acesius (“healing”), emphasizing his association with the Life domain. Alternatively, your choice of domain could simply be a matter of personal preference, the aspect of the deity that appeals to you most."

I believe that this explicitly states that your choice is a matter of personal preference.

Additionally, the 8.2 AL Player's Guide states:

"Deities. You character may worship any deity listed in Deities of the Forgotten Realms and Nonhuman Deities table in the Player’s Handbook or any of the deities mentioned in the resources in Step 1& 2, above. Clerics must worship a specific deity but aren’t limited to the Domains recommended for their deity."

<3

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
"Alternatively, your choice of domain could simply be a matter of personal preference, the aspect of the deity that appeals to you most."

This implies that you can select the aspect of the deity that the deity in fact possesses. Apollo, following the Player Handbook metaphor, was a Healing and Sun deity, hence it can provide those domains (He was a lot of other things, like Art, Culture and even in some cases Plague deity but that is besides the point). But this is EA, we have only three Domains available so I imagine those three domains will be stretched thin to cover all the patron gods.

veteran
veteran
I wonder; if Divine Soul is part of the game for sorcerers, will this ve relevant for them?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
"Alternatively, your choice of domain could simply be a matter of personal preference, the aspect of the deity that appeals to you most."

This implies that you can select the aspect of the deity that the deity in fact possesses. Apollo, following the Player Handbook metaphor, was a Healing and Sun deity, hence it can provide those domains (He was a lot of other things, like Art, Culture and even in some cases Plague deity but that is besides the point). But this is EA, we have only three Domains available so I imagine those three domains will be stretched thin to cover all the patron gods.

This.

stranger
stranger
I can definitely see your way of interpreting this! <3

"As far as the game's rules are concerned, it doesn't
matter if your world has hundreds of deities or a church
devoted to a single god. In rules terms, clerics choose
domains, not deities, so your world can associate
domains with deities in any way you choose. "
-Dungeon Master's Guide Pg. 10

I will respectfully disagree with your interpretation. laugh

However, like you say, there are few domain's to concern ourselves over for EA!

<3

SO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW I WON'T BE ABLE TO SLEEP! laugh

W
veteran
veteran
W
Yup, that is absolutely a valid point, but if this game will be set within FR it don’t think the DM can do as he or she wishes necessarily matters.

All of this is moot hypothetical because cleric is the one class I will never play! 🤪

I’m also just really stoked to play a sequel to the favorite video game series of my youth. It is surreal. I can’t wait to get off work tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard