Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Loptr #678988 07/10/20 04:11 PM
stranger
stranger
Hey all,

I found my issue yesterday.

I am running BG3 from GOG and my GPU is an RTX 2070, I updated my drivers to Driver Version: 456.55 - Release Date: Mon Sep 28, 2020. After several failed attempts and changing other settings, I rolled back my drivers to 451.67 which is from May. Hope this helps someone.

Loptr #679052 07/10/20 04:42 PM
stranger
stranger
Shift+Running BG3.exe as admin worked for me.
Thanks a bunch to those of you who posted this fix! You are legends

stranger
stranger
Cheers Polishmafia, this did the trick for me. I found that both DX11 and Vulkan were loading the game as I could hear the music, but I was just getting a blank screen.
Oddly I did get the dx11 version working once, but after a game crash I wasn't able to get a display again.

I did a clean install of version: 451.67 - Release Date: 2020 July 9 and after a reboot, the game is working fine on DX11 AND Vulkan.

RTX 2080ti if it helps.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by captainfish
THat was the answer for me, Thanks Bitterman.
I installed new Nvidia Drivers.
New C+ redistributable x64 drivers.
No luck
I even ran the shortcut as "Run As Administrator". No Luck
But for GOG install, go to your *\bin\ folder from wherever you had the game installed. You will find the "bg3.exe" and "bg3_dx11.exe" files.
Right click on them and running as Admin will not work.

YOU HAVE TO use "shift+right-click" and then select "run as admin" for it to work.

***EDIT: And oddly enough, you have to keep pressing down on SHIFT button while you click on the "run as administrator" for it to work. If you let go of SHIFT key, before you click on the "run as admin" it will also fail to run.
yeah, this is crazy. Esp considering that most of us are probably local admins on our machines.

It worked for me! However this is ridiculous and absurd!

Get it fixed Larian!

Loptr #679183 07/10/20 05:36 PM
stranger
stranger
Literally none of these fixes worked for me. The Windows Defender one even made the game crash earlier lmao.

Loptr #679263 07/10/20 06:18 PM
stranger
stranger
The shift click run as admin on bg3 doesn't work for me I get an error - "VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found - trying reinstalling the program". I have already re-installed once.

Loptr #679271 07/10/20 06:27 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Win7 on Steam, black screen at launch with both the Vulcan and DX11 versions, updated to the 7 Oct Nvidia drivers, checked program integrity, still not working.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
Loptr #679305 07/10/20 06:42 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L
Win 7, GOG Galaxy. Black screen at launch.

What works for me:
1. Hold SHIFT (or any other key) + click Play button from Larian Launcher and keep holding SHIFT until the game loads. (no need to launch from exe, or messing with administrator rights)
2. Click Play button from Larian Launcher and keep fast clicking anywhere within the Larian Launcher window until the game loads in the background.
3. Click Play and keep spamming Alt+Tab until the game loads.

It seems that the game crashes if the game window is focused when launching.
But it works when you keep the game window (out of focus) in the background while it is loading - else by spam clicking, or holding keyboard keys.

Last edited by Liliana M; 07/10/20 06:52 PM.
Loptr #679646 07/10/20 09:05 PM
There's a hotfix, unfortunately no release notes (on GOG at least). There is a post in the forums here, but from the look of it, they are not aware of the problem because they only mention selecting DX11, not the admin work-around smirk (and indeed, I saw no response from them here)

Loptr #679651 07/10/20 09:10 PM
Ysh Offline
stranger
stranger
I HAD the SAME problem.

Here's my solution. Before clicking PLAY - > HOLD the SHIFT Key of your keyboard. And keep it HOLDED until the game launch correctly (I'm not kidding)

Try it out and let me know.

PS: Using Windows 7 for my part.

Loptr #679665 07/10/20 09:16 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Ysh
I HAD the SAME problem.

Here's my solution. Before clicking PLAY - > HOLD the SHIFT Key of your keyboard. And keep it HOLDED until the game launch correctly (I'm not kidding)

Try it out and let me know.

PS: Using Windows 7 for my part.

This is kinda homeopathic levels insane but indeed it did work for me too. WTF??!??
I'm curious for a dev's explanation of that bug.

Loptr #679679 07/10/20 09:25 PM
E
stranger
stranger
E
Might as well add my trouble to the list. I'm also crashing on startup.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Radeon RX 5700

Drivers and Windows are up to date and I've tried switching between DirectX and Vulcan. No matter what, the game crashes every time during the initial loading screen. It's not hardware failure or anything like that because I can still play lots of games that are demanding on the hardware.I have verified the files and tried starting with the firewall turned off as well.

Loptr #679690 07/10/20 09:31 PM
stranger
stranger
Same

Steam version, Windows 10, NVdia

Played game 11 hours yesterday and today it crashes on startup.

Here is what I've tried per suggestions and game still crashing:

-Switching from Vulcan to DX11
-Reinstalling
-Updating drivers
-Install C++
-adding exceptions to firewall
-run as admin (this actually worked for a bit but upon trying to startup after exiting game it is crashing again and now nothing works)
-holding down Shift and pressing "Play", hold down Shift continuously and pressing "Play" , hold down Shift, press "Play" and alt-tab to try to load game in background

Last edited by peacewibby; 07/10/20 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
Loptr #679716 07/10/20 09:44 PM
stranger
stranger
Same problem here - it crashes instead of starting, with either Vulcan or DirectX11, from desktop or Steam.
Do i need to register somewhere to play the beta? Cuz I've looked everywhere I can think of.

Loptr #679720 07/10/20 09:47 PM
stranger
stranger
Hey guys, was having the same problem and Shift + Right click did not help.

I did tinker with Windows Event Viewer and noticed that it pops an error suggesting it did screw up stack pointer during launch. After digging into the settings I've noticed that my core affinity was not set to all cores (I am using the Process Lasso to divide system processes,games etc between 2 chiplets on Ryzen) but rather to the last 12 threads, same issue with first 12 - It did cause crashes. When sI've switched CPU affinity to defaul all (0-n) threads it suddenly worked both for Dx11 and Vulcan, no need for admin rights either.

I know affinity can also be changed in Windows Task manager, so you might want to try that if you did tinker with affinities manually (for example for Steam app as a whole).

@Raze
This tweak also resolved my issue with the Divinity 2 Original Sin - DE which was not launching with the same crash on startup. I remember you posting a lot of troubleshooting suggestions on the forums when I searched for solution, but I do not remember this one. Thought you might want to know of this.

Cheers.

Last edited by Wiasor; 07/10/20 10:03 PM.
Loptr #679764 07/10/20 10:08 PM
It was working fine for me up until the first crash (like 5 minutes in) and now it keeps triggering my antivirus, when I allow it, I get Vulkan errors or black screens.

Wiasor #679768 07/10/20 10:09 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Wiasor
After digging into the settings I've noticed that my core affinity was not set to all cores (I am using the Process Lasso to divide system processes,games etc between 2 chiplets on Ryzen) but rather to the last 12 threads, same issue with first 12 - It did cause crashes. When sI've switched CPU affinity to defaul all (0-n) threads it suddenly worked both for Dx11 and Vulcan, no need for admin rights either.

I use Process Lasso also, and I suspected it. However shutting it down did not help. Assigning bg3.exe and bg3_dx11.exe in Process Lasso to 0-23 also didn't help.

WAIT! I had turned off Process Lasso's "core engine". When it turned it on, along with the above .exe changes, it worked. Holy crap.

So how come it didn't work even after I shutdown Process Lasso? What is Process Lasso doing after I've shut it down?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by captainfish
THat was the answer for me, Thanks Bitterman.
I installed new Nvidia Drivers.
New C+ redistributable x64 drivers.
No luck
I even ran the shortcut as "Run As Administrator". No Luck
But for GOG install, go to your *\bin\ folder from wherever you had the game installed. You will find the "bg3.exe" and "bg3_dx11.exe" files.
Right click on them and running as Admin will not work.

YOU HAVE TO use "shift+right-click" and then select "run as admin" for it to work.

***EDIT: And oddly enough, you have to keep pressing down on SHIFT button while you click on the "run as administrator" for it to work. If you let go of SHIFT key, before you click on the "run as admin" it will also fail to run.
yeah, this is crazy. Esp considering that most of us are probably local admins on our machines.

THAnks a lot - that was it - holding shift for starting it as admin

Oh YEAH!
Have fun
Rainer #680194 08/10/20 03:15 AM
E
stranger
stranger
E
Following these instructions caused the game to launch in a debug mode. I couldn't use my regular profile and therefore couldn't continue my save game. I guess I'll just wait until they patch this problem.

Loptr #680200 08/10/20 03:18 AM
stranger
stranger
The shift trick only worked once and when I had to log off for a bit and came back game crashing again and shift doesn't work now

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard