Originally Posted by Wi1em_
I never particularly liked DnD(-ish) computer games (BGs, Neverwinter Nights, etc). Still tried to play for the story and dialogues, but the combat system was dull for me. It's just too slow, boring.. I don't know exactly how to describe it. Combat in DOS games however, *especially* surface interactions, is awesome. Very dynamic and fun, lots of options in combat, much more engaging and tactical. Therefore, BG3 being close to DOS is the only reason for me to be hopeful that the game will be great. And so far I'm absolutely loving it (minus the bugs and some nitpicks). I wish they'd show number ranges in a form suitable for humans, i.e. 2d4+2 should be displayed as 4-10. People shouldn't have to be living calculators to be able to just read some text off the screen. That's a rudiment from physical dice games, but we're on computers you know, it's 21 century and computers are able to generate random numbers for you, there is no physical dice and none of the complications are needed for any reason. So, nitpicks like that. But things that matter - visuals, characters, dialogues, story, combat etc - so far are great. If it were like old BG I wouldn't have been interested at all.

Just a note about die formulation, because its not only you i see this reasoning several times yet in the forum, and is clarly that people asking for it don't know how die distribution works. A dice roll can only be show as a range when you roll only one dice. If you roll, for example 2D6, you can't show it as 2-12.

Because anyone that see 2-12 would naturally think that any result can be rolled with the same chance. A roll of 2D6 dont work like that , when you roll 2D6 the most likely result is 7 because it have the bigger number of permutations of results in each indicidual dice (1+6, 2+5, 3+4 and the other way around). Every result above and under 7 have less permutations until 2 and 12 wich only have one each (1+1/6+6).

So if they put 2-12 for a 2D6 roll shortly you have a bunch of people with torches claiming the RNG is byasse because they are rolling a lot of 6/7/8 and very little 11/12