Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
After 30 hours of gameplay thus far, here are my biggest concerns:

1) Perks / abilities / passives / etc DO NOT appear in the character sheet. For example, at level 2 for warlock I chose "Agonizing Blast" and "Devil's Sight" as additional passives. However, NOWHERE in the character sheet (or entire game) does it display that I now have these for my warlock. I would only know I have them because I remember picking them. It is a serious oversight to not have ALL of the character progressions and advancements display in the character sheet.

2) Unclear status effects on spells, lack of a compendium. Many spells that cause status effects are unclear in what they actually do. For example, "Blind." The tooltip on this spell states it causes "Blindness" that can be shaken off with a saving throw, but it does not state what the actual effects of Blindness are. Does Blindness mean that attacks can't be made? Or does it mean they just have less of a chance to hit? The tooltip on the spell is incomplete in this sense, and the lack of a compendium means that I cannot look it up anywhere in the game. Another example is "Silence," which creates a sphere in which all creatures are "Silenced." What does Silenced mean? Does it mean they are literally silent, or does it mean they cannot cast abilities? Again, the spell tooltip is unclear. This is true for MANY spells. Either expand the tooltips, or create a compendium where the player can read about status effects and what they do.

3) Hidden details on spells / abilities that are not listed in the tooltip. One example here being "Hex." If the concentration of Hex is ever broken, Hex can be recast on another target without the use of a spell slot. This is not mentioned on the tooltip. Another example is "Shatter," which is an AoE spell, but nowhere on the tooltip is it actually listed as AoE. It makes me wonder how many other spells have hidden effects that I am unaware of.

4) Inconsistent rules. The example here being if I cast "Darkness," why is it that my warlock with Devil's Sight cannot see or attack in the zone of Darkness? If the rules are supposed to follow D&D, then my warlock SHOULD BE ABLE to see and attack in the Darkness spell effect. In this game, that is not the case, and it is unclear why. Furthermore, how does this make "Darkness" any different from "Fog?" Perhaps this is a simple oversight in game design and programming.

5) Lack of a rulebook. If the entire game is based on the rules of D&D and even plays exactly like D&D with dice rolls, why not include an in-game rulebook? It's easy enough to google all sorts of rules, but at least including the basics would make sense. This of course would simply be a quality of life change, and an optional compendium that exists for players that want it.

Originally Posted by MarcHicks
I am beginning to think that your passion to see this game fail is clouding your objectivity. See, I too can make bold generalizations.

You are a very strange person, sir. I've already stated in a prior post that I want to see the game succeed, but am concerned that some very blatant issues will prevent that.

The bottom line is, a game as complex as BG3 with an intricate ruleset should provide that entire ruleset to its player. Period. Posters here, such as MarcHicks, are making some of the most irrational arguments I've ever seen. You honestly believe that the game is better without the option for additional learning materials? And you further believe that it is both an intelligent and correct decision for the game to be released without a rule compendium? How exactly would that help the game make more sales? Why would anyone argue that it is bad for a player to be able to learn more about the game that he or she is playing?

Last edited by Marktheshark; 10/10/20 06:52 PM.
V
stranger
stranger
V
The game in its current state is an absolute joke. It has solid gameplay and is very fun, but it's just pathetic that AAA titles can be released in such an unfinished state, all under the excuse of "it's early access." Based on Larian's past, though, they'll likely fix this game up quite a bit. I'd guess that WOTC forced them to release this game in its current state. But seriously...there are just SO MANY PROBLEMS with the game right now that it's going to give the majority of people a sour taste with their initial experience. It's a shame.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard