Originally Posted by Cowoline
Originally Posted by Beenker
Agree, this game is basically reskinned DOS. I won't recommend this game to anyone in its current state. There are just so many things wrong

I'm also curious, what exact thing did Wizards of the Coast even do at this point? Lore? They definitely didnt ensure that Larian stuck to the 5e ruleset.

That's a bit of an overreaction. It IS the 5e D&D, but it is also a video game - there will need to be some compromises. This shouldn't be a surprise.

I don't think anyone is asking for a 1 to 1 adaptation of 5e (which would be nearly impossible to make a video game adaptation that's fun), but the surface system, as currently implemented, is just so backwards from what 5e combat is about that it doesn't even feel like 5e anymore.

Creating hazards/surfaces in 5e was usually special and impactful, but not the name of the game. Now, surfaces are so prevalent and impactful that it doesn't even feel like playing D&D anymore. Especially since the player isn't afforded any kind of saving throw when passing through a hazard (unlike 5e). Nevermind that the action economy was butchered by making disengage a bonus action.