Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Just wanted to give a little praise for this one.

Everything about the art direction of this game has been fantastic so it makes sense. I really enjoy the artbook, which for me has all sorts of little call backs that were pretty rad there.

It reminds me of the old sourcebooks that I used to love. It's like 100 pages long and sorta nailed the vibe. I love the cover! It's fun to see the concept art, of course, but the layout and the map and all the little chapter headers. Just a very nice presentation all around and a cool memento that reminds me of the old thin art tomes I liked, you know like Masters of Dragonlance and stuff like that.

If you did the EA or bought into the deluxe thing you already have the high res digital copy of it chillin in the folder (spoilers, cause it shows a lot of character and area design stuff).

Anyhow, this a thing I would very much like to purchase by itself with a hardcover. Or not a hardcover per se, but you know what I mean, graphic novel binding with some protection. I like to have something that can collect dust on the shelf, or to have for things like Cons to have signed for a cool keepsake. Couple pages at the front or back blank. Or maybe a jacket or insert. These days with games you don't get that so much, like physical objects, but there's something about BG and a nice little book ya know. To have for a grimoire.

Any plans for a print run on this one?

I don't have a ton of ready loot or space for a giant collector's thing with the statue and diorama and such (even though that does look cool!) I spent what would have gone towards that into hardware to play the game properly hehe, but a little artbook - I'd hop on that in a heartbeat! Maybe just slightly smaller so as not to upstage the collector's edition, or whatever makes sense. I mean I know we could just print it out, but something with a cool binding that goes next to 2e Book or Artifacts and some of the others on the shelf would be badass. Nice work!

Last edited by Black_Elk; 09/09/23 03:44 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I wish I could show the cover at least, but the only way I've been able to figure out how to show images on these boards is using a third party host like imgBB. I wish we could attach thumbnail images to these boards directly without having to rely on big image hosting clearing houses for the bbcode. It's one thing to save out a gamescreen but the artbook I feel differently about, cause the images are boss and deserve the high res presentation, but not scooped into those maelstrom sites, cause then who knows where the png ends up.

Anyhow, if you've been playing on PC and have beaten the game already go check it out!

It's one of the cooler D&D artbooks I've seen in a while. Folder is in larian/digitaldeluxe as a pdf. It's got the double page layout, so pretty much like a 200 page artbook.

It reminded me of "The Art of Dungeons & Dragons" 1989 which was one of my all time favs along with the art of dragonlance one that had the illustrator profiles.
I would love to see something like that for this book as well!

For the collectors edition I saw a glimpse on reddit, and for that cover there is a badass embossed version of the diorama that looks like temple glyphs. It's sick! heheh

Last edited by Black_Elk; 09/09/23 04:03 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
For the collector edition I saw a glimpse on reddit, and for that cover there is a badass embossed version of the diorama that looks like temple glyphs. It's sick! heheh
The art book is what I am looking forward to the most in the Collector’s Edition! Can’t wait!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm jealous! haha

I'd be happy with like the dover budget edition in paperback. It reminded me also of Castles, and Faeries, with some of the cross sections and monsters. Like it's more 5e in the aesthetic than the stuff from the late 80s but what I like is how it feels like a legit sourcebook with all the branding, and the layouts that make it feel like full on D&D.

Some of these pages though, oh my! Seeing some of these skeletons and flayers and it it throws you back to like harryhausen creature feature workshops, or the weapons and amulets looking like those Mucha drawings of silverware, but for the new age. Cause it has those area shots too with the landscapes. All very nice. I can imagine some rogue rogue teenagers coming across this artbook and just wanting to learn how to draw stuff that looks that cool and diving in. Top notch!

V
stranger
stranger
V
WHAT. I didn't even know I had this, and there it was. I need to read things more carefully when sign up for things lol. Thank you for posting this! It really is good.

I
old hand
old hand
I
It also gives you a hint about what Larian changed in the last minute when you compare the book to the game

O
stranger
stranger
O
Totally agree! I am usually not really buying game merch, but I'd buy a hard copy of this art book in a heartbeat!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
999 Bottles of beer on the wall!!!

heheh

It says I'm crossing this milestone right now, creeping on a thousand long winded-ass posts on these boards since the EA began (and about as many hours clocked in-game I'd guess) so just a quick nod here, cause BG3 has been great fun!

Excellent visualizations all around! And the artbook is fantastic!

Here are a couple really cool pages that I don't think spoiler too much. I wish these boards would let us attach a picture directly, cause I saw a few floating around on reddit, but I didn't see these and I love this spread...

So cool! I mean there are some real gems in that book!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The castles and gobbos too, the monsters and the kit, all of it! Absolutely fantastic!

I hope they'll do a little re-run for the print on this one - that would be the tops!

Last edited by Black_Elk; 06/10/23 06:54 AM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Notice how the content of the book does not quite match the content of the game...

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yeah I mean I wouldn't really expect that though. I get what you mean like with certain character art not yet developed in the concept art shown say, but anyway, it's a little monument unto itself I think and very cool. Sort of the glancing view, but it holds up well and I like the valance on it. What would be interesting would be another similar folio that describes all the ins and outs there on the modelling and motion capture and how that connects up to the concepts and designs, like with whatever creature workshop stuff and also just some inside takes on how the game was achieved. I feel like BG3 deserves one of those for a recap. Like in the dvd bonus features or whatever. They should do all that and then make a bunch of little headshot portraits for use on their boards from the in-game assets. That would be a fun way to sort of wrap on an EA or announcing a follow up of some sort that can keep people excited and hopeful.

Link Copied to Clipboard