Originally Posted by Milkfred
3. Players Want to Experience Everything

A solution to the Nettie thing is to just not talk to her. But players generally want to experience all the content they can in a single playthrough. Having a consequence be 'you just don't get to do something' is related to my first point. I'd put a few other things under this umbrella - like Perception checks as you're exploring - as being similarly annoying. What did I miss? Who knows, but now I have this feeling in the back of my head that I'm missing out on something. Was it something that I'd think was cool? A neat bit of lore? Something to make Lae'zel like me? I can tell myself that it was probably just two gold pieces and a fork, but my brain will insist otherwise.
[b]

I don't feel this way at all.

People miss things. Letting any character experience everything puts hard limits on uniqueness of characters.

There are a lot of solutions to the Nettie encounter, and different characters would handle it differently. That's how it should be.

Perception checks I guess can feel pretty bad, but I've found it EXTREMELY rare where a perception check pops and not a single party member catches it. The only time I've experienced that is the grease vents in the tomb, and it really didnt have much of an impact anyway.

If you take this logic further it seriously hampers game replayability and the ability for branching storylines.