Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
You don't get a feat at level 1 human in BG3. Stop looking at PnP rules and try actually playing the game.

That actually depends on whether they will add Variant Human as a race. But you're right, right now that's how it is.

On topic, I do expect them to add more faces. This game is good 2 years away from release.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So I think that this character is a Gnome right, but why are all the Halfling options I can make so ugly in comparison?

[img]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....4C016B4025AA179707A1211D366C4E9F5E25CF1/[/img]

All the faces available for male characters simply seem to be too wide and too much emphasis on the cheekbones and jaw.

And it looks like I cant even select the same beard as well. I was really wanting to try out a Halfling ranger but they are all so ugly.

My main charcter in Dungeons and Dragons Online was a Halfling Rogue / Monk and even in a game that old with primitive (for 3D) graphics, the male faces were a lot nicer than the ones available in this game currently.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 12/10/20 11:06 PM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
There is literally ZERO character customisation in this game currently.

99% of the pre set faces are absolutely hideous, at least for men, and I say that as a gay man.

'Who do you dream of at night???' Erm, absolutely not one single one of your ugly, hideous male preset faces.

Oblivion had better faces than this game does, Id rather spend all night dreaming of Adoring Fan than any of the male faces in this game.

Proving the stereotype of gay men being hopelessly superficial and vain true eh? I see a -1 to INT and CHA here

I think the post you quoted was OTT but I wasn't aware there was something wrong with wanting your character to be attractive.

I agree that a lot of the male faces are quite homely when compared to the female faces. There was only one wood elf male face that I actually liked; the rest all looked very old, unattractive, or just all around un-elf-like.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by pfifferling

99% of the pre set faces are absolutely hideous, at least for men, and I say that as a gay man.

'Who do you dream of at night???' Erm, absolutely not one single one of your ugly, hideous male preset faces.

Oblivion had better faces than this game does, Id rather spend all night dreaming of Adoring Fan than any of the male faces in this game.

Proving the stereotype of gay men being hopelessly superficial and vain true eh? I see a -1 to INT and CHA here

I think the post you quoted was OTT but I wasn't aware there was something wrong with wanting your character to be attractive.

I agree that a lot of the male faces are quite homely when compared to the female faces. There was only one wood elf male face that I actually liked; the rest all looked very old, unattractive, or just all around un-elf-like.

I've gone through all the Halfling and Woodelf options for making a Ranger, just the first two Wood Elf faces are ok, the rest and all the halfling faces are basically all far too wide / fat / rotund and just not appealing to want to play at all.

And regardless of D&D lore, I would like to be able to unlock beards on Elves as well please, just like you can unlock colours that each race normally can't use.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 12/10/20 11:22 PM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by pfifferling

I've gone through all the Halfling and Woodelf options for making a Ranger, just the first two Wood Elf faces are ok, the rest and all the halfling faces are basically all far too wide / fat / rotund and just not appealing to want to play at all.

And regardless of D&D lore, I would like to be able to unlock beards on Elves as well please, just like you can unlock colours that each race normally can't use.

I think wood elf face 6 (I think that's the one) is quite handsome and fey-like. It's the one I chose. It was actually the only face I liked lol.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I dunno about men, because I pretty much always play women. I do know that my female tiefling is hot as hell, and not just because she specializes in fire magic and is from the bloodline of Asmodeus.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Actually the character build made perfect sense to me.

1. Given a choice of all the races in D&D most will still choose human.

Seriously? I did not know that.

The folks I tend to play with go out of their way to push the envelope of unusual/half or quarter breed or odd in some way even odder (like a hugely oversized Argonian and a Khajiit(feline)-human cross in a Morrowind/TESIII based campaign).

I know one dude who will semi-regularly include "human/normal" and he goes out of his way to make them slightly elderly/pudgy and so forth - so again not the stereotypical option.

journeyman
journeyman
You are complaining about the males? What about the females? Almost all are hideous....

journeyman
journeyman
I like two half-elf male faces. Everything else, male or female, I found to be quite ugly. Dwarves and halflings aside, I haven't tried making one and I don't want to so I don't know.

I've seen some nice NPC faces, though. People with few lines and not long to live. Why can't we have those?

Their joke about player appearances sounded to me like, "We gave you a bunch of fish that's gone off and you all chose to have a cheeseburger. Shame on you!"

Having some ugly options is nice, they should be there, but some of these, I can't imagine why they would be approved. And when it comes to, "Who do you dream of?" I have to wonder how bad some people's dreams are.

Last edited by Raflamir; 13/10/20 06:40 AM.
stranger
stranger
I really can't believe people are this upset and whiny over an early access game that isn't even out yet nor is it complete. Comparing it to full releases like Oblivion that was a full release at launch vs an alpha of a game.

You don't like the lack of options right now, fine. But to come here and call all faces ugly is a bit trite. Im pan, and yet I've had no issues creating characters that I, and friends of mine, find attractive.

Come back to the game when its fully released and if you still have a problem then maybe your attitudes will be validated, until then either do your job as an early access member and play the game and help with actual technical feedback to help fix bugs and other issues or bugger off.

Shallow "these faces ain't pretty enough" are the least of the games current issues.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay, yes there are a lot of problems with the faces/attractiveness levels and so on.

That being said, here are some of the things I've done to mitigate things.

1-uncheck the thing that lets you use "all" colors for eyes/skin/hair (it is buggy and doesn't work for some options, but it does make things interesting). Skin color (and in some cases lip color as a side effect) can really change how someone looks.

2-Take a seriously look at the makeup options - weird can be interesting and interesting can substitute for lovely/handsome.

3-Take another look at the tattoo options; there are a couple of rather largish tattoos that I think enhance in general - there are others that would serve to disguise.

4-Play around, and when you are getting frustrated, change gender or race to come at things from another angle. Explore.

5-Change profession/class. Even if you aren't going to "stay there", some of the armor makes a HUGE difference in how the character looks.

and in the immortal words of Mystery Science Theater 3000:

"Just repeat to yourself 'it's just a show [game]'
I should really just relax!"

veteran
veteran
So many Sue folks around..

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by HeyBlackWolf

[...] until then either do your job as an early access member and play the game and help with actual technical feedback to help fix bugs and other issues or bugger off.

Shallow "these faces ain't pretty enough" are the least of the games current issues.

You really don't get it, do you? It's fine, you don't have to. All the feedback is directed to Larian, not to each other.
Let everyone just say how "ugly" some of those faces are, because "ugly" is subjective.

And "technical feedback' is absolute pointless when one can't get past the character creation. Luckily I found a face I can use for EA, because I wouldn't play this thing otherwise, no matter how fun it is (and it is really fun).

Not liking current head options is perfectly valid feedback. There could be trolls posting as well, but I think most of these already bought EA, so they care.
Also these can be solved by player mods, if it's too much trouble adding enough variety until (almost) everyone is content.

U
stranger
stranger
U
I wish Larian would address this...

W
veteran
veteran
W
I don’t know which is weirder. Necroing 3 year old topic or reading on in the first place.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I find that men have some diversity, they're still mostly model/actor face but some could potentially be character actors, still definetly actors but still, women ONLY get super male fantasy dreamboat model faces for most ancestries that as a female player is a bit, oh ok, cool game is made for teenage boys not female players even though it's a genre that overwhelming is popular with female players..

edit:
oh hey didn't even notice this had two pages or was a necro, point still stands tho

Last edited by Starshine; 28/08/23 09:58 AM.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
addict
addict
I never understood what is so bad about reviving an old thread. Isn't it a good example of using the forum search function in stead of creating a new thread where most of what has been written earlier is repeated?

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Ikke
I never understood what is so bad about reviving an old thread. Isn't it a good example of using the forum search function in stead of creating a new thread where most of what has been written earlier is repeated?

Exactly. Especially in a case like this where the subject was brought up several years ago and has still not been addressed by Larian.

veteran
veteran
This subject was a dumb joke from Larian, not any sort of sincere or meaningful criticism. I doubt anyone at Larian gave that point wven a moment's thought after they posted the update. Larian has nothing they need to address. Its not even as though their later behaviour reflected the criticism in any way.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
In some cases, reviving an old thread is better than creating a new one. But when things have changed in the interim, it’s generally better to start the conversation anew with an up-to-date summary of what you think is worth discussing now. Otherwise we risk people getting confused about what’s current and what’s not, or not realising how old some posts are and replying to years old posts as though they represent impressions now, when the person who posted them might have a different view now or no longer be active.

Given the age of this thread, I’m going to lock it now and suggest that a new thread is created if people want to discuss further. You can always put a link back to this older thread if you think it has useful context.

Though actually, I think there are also much more recent threads on character customisation that it might be appropriate to add to.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard