I agree that it is going to be a struggle to please either/both of Baldur's Gate hardcore fans; my bestie played it, but his opinion is that it's been so long that he is not wedded to the need to have tons of direct continuity.

On the other hand, I just went online and listened to a nicely detailed youtube video of the story of BG1 & 2, and at least from what I've seen there isn't much direct continuity, which if I were a stalwart BG fan, I would miss.

It's tough following a good game...for that matter I'm a die-hard TESIII fan (Morrowind), my husband is a Skyrim (TES IV) fan, and we both started ESO looking for "TES with friends". To some extent it was a bit of a disappointment, but partly that's due to the inherent limitations of following a single player (not even co-op) with a MMORPG.

For my own thoughts:

-Need more options in character creation (and especially the male faces - my word)
-The "moving background" in the beginning of the game is somewhat nauseating to look at
-the background music of character creation gets really shrill and annoying after a while
-a "hide helmet" option is needed
-more in game tutorials are needed (the "map" is really annoying and how do I keep "north" on the map facing 'up') - jeez.
-Love the variety of races
-Glad that I can unlock eye color to give my drow red eyes, which SHOULD be a standard option