I'm not nostalgic or a rules purist. But I'm not fully onboard Larian's choices either.

I want BG3 to have a believable setting that resembles the real world in the spirit of D&D, aside from magic and mind flayers obviously. It's all about immersion.

It just rubs me the wrong way when I see oil barrels everywhere in illogical places clearly for "fun" gameplay reasons alone, or arrows exploding in huge pools of acid and fire. I mean.. explosions, acid, magic etc. ARE part of the game but you don't have to exaggerate them to ridiculous proportions. And this seems to be a Larian thing, based on DOS and now BG3. Jumping and Shoving like superheroes, anything with half an excuse leaving a surface on the battlefield, food healing you in combat like in platform games... it's over the top. And everything that is over the top or balance breaking, is something where Larian changed the rules. 5e is more grounded. BG is part of an already established franchise with certain expectations.

I understand video games are different from tabletop and doing a 100% conversion is not necessarily the best way. But consider that the above hasn't been an issue with previous D&D CRPGs. BG, IWD, NWN or even Pathfinder which is a somewhat more cartoony take on D&D were all great games without exploding barrels and pools of fire and acid everywhere. Dragon Age, Pillars of Eternity.. great games without comical jumping and shoving.

I just think Larian needs to tone down the silly gamey stuff for BG3 and stick with 5e. They have already put their stamp on the game with the player agency and freedom for creative solutions which doesn't exist in any of the non-Larian titles above. And it's awesome and impressive. Just save the over the top stuff for Divinity series where it belongs. I know what to expect when I play Divinity and I will like it there. But don't turn D&D into Divinity.

Last edited by 1varangian; 12/10/20 07:36 AM.